600D tips for newbie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 30th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

600D tips for newbie

Hello people!

So I got my new 600D, played with it . shot photos and videos, but I would like some tips for the video part. What shall I look when filming with this little miracle? How can I custom white balance? And please add your own tips from your experience with this or the previous models.

Thanks!
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: 600D tips for newbie

Unfortunately the 600D is the only Canon camera that does not allow you to do a custom WB. All the others have it available either natively or via Magic Lantern.

The biggest thing to look out for (assuming you have focus & exposure set correctly) is aliasing/moire. It may appear as flickering on straight lines or a "shimmering" patch of green or purple colour on detailed objects, espesically patterns such as roof tiles or bricks, at certain focal lengths and magnifications.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

As John says, the aliasing and moiré do somewhat spoil DSLR video footage. It's very visible on roof tiles, bricks - in fact any fine detail, but you have to remember it's degrading your image all the time, not just when it slaps you across both cheeks.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'd like to add a question to this thread as I too, am a 600D newbie.
This may be basic videography but I'd just like to check.

To achieve the best video without grain and noise, is it better to select the lowest ISO but increase the exposure wheel or vice versa? The guy who's currently operating it brings back footage with irregular light vs noise levels and so It would be great if there's some general rules around ISO and exposure I could pass on.

Many thanks in advance,
Ryan D.G. Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Major Player

keep native ISO's for the least noise, like 160, 320, 640 and so on, only go above if absolutely necessary as lower ISO's will have the least noise.

as for exposing, with these cameras you can creatively expose moreso than with standard video cams, so that means, you might prefer a shot with say an 85mm with an appropriate DOF which you find at say f4, well then you should probably light to that if the light is low, or you should put some ND filters to chop some light out so you can expose that open.

But for run'n'gunning, it's best to keep your ISO's low, shutter at twice the framerate and adjust the Fstop to the right exposure
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Westerstrom View Post
keep native ISO's for the least noise, like 160, 320, 640 and so on, only go above if absolutely necessary as lower ISO's will have the least noise.
This is about the 600D/T3i, there is _NO_ iso 160, 320 or 640.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Logothetis View Post
Hello people!

So I got my new 600D, played with it . shot photos and videos, but I would like some tips for the video part. What shall I look when filming with this little miracle? How can I custom white balance? And please add your own tips from your experience with this or the previous models.

Thanks!
As a former T2i/550D guy, my caveats are:
1) don't expect it to maintain focus on moving objects
2) don't rely on it for long takes at school plays, speeches or other events
3) get something that allows you to see the LCD in bright sunlight -- because, as you've probably discovered, your viewfinder goes dark when you're shooting video. Since the 600D has a swivel screen, an inexpensive solution is something like this

or this

(which is what I use on my GH2). The more expensive solution is one of those fancy LCD viewfinders from Hoodman, Zacuto or others.

Good luck with your new 600D. I traded my 550D in for a GH2 because I was not skilled enough to maintain focus on moving objects without an autofocus -- but if I was ever to buy another mirror-box camera, it would be a 600D.

Last edited by Bill Bruner; May 8th, 2011 at 03:48 AM.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #8
Major Player

I got my 600d a few weeks back , mainly into wildlife the only reason i got this cam
1) the 3X sensor crop
2) the flip screen behind

here is a sample video

Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD