why am i worried with 60d - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:47 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: why am i worried with 60d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Betters View Post
Maybe the church has yellow or golden stained glass windows. I have been in different churches, and sometimes the light changes depending on the glass or paneling that the church has up. Not for sure, just a suggestion.
Doubt it Keith. When you shoot a stage show, and have manually set your white balance, there are many times when a face / individual is illuminated by a coloured light. If the light is for instance blue, the subject will be bathed in blue light, the rest of the stage, that is out of the spread of the coloured light will be normal. Never had coloured glass and a change of incoming light in a church alter the overall balance of the scene.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:08 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Colin,
I agree at all with you and this is the same doubt I have.I always shoot with the videocamera ana last weekend I tried to use the 60D.
No way,,,,camera is camera...DSLR is DSLR.
You cant' t do with DSLR waht you do in the video camera in the wedding, if you are alone.There are so many things to setting that you risk to loose something,
I decis sunday to use the camera and only sometimes to the party the 60D that I confirm give me Yellow picture as you have,
I'm not happy about that and I am really curiuos to talk and see with sombody that alone, withou any kind of assistant or other cameraman is able to do a wedding starting from the house of the bride...till the end of the day, keeping the right focus,the right exposure,the right lens and distance,the right wb.
Please if there is one, put here the video and tell us how is possible and wich one lens..etc etc
Gianni Paolella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:45 AM   #18
Major Player

It can be done, and indeed is done, by a lot of people, with a lot of experience and a full understanding of their equipment. I chose not to use DSLRs as A cam, simply because I do not like the inherant problems that come with them. Put simply, I like to be in a comfortable work enviroment, DSLRs, for me, didnt allow that. For others it does, its simply a matter of choice. As I mentioned earlier, I use a DSLR, occasionally for infill and cutaway shots, but would never dream of using it as an A cam. The 3 main reasons for using a DSLR are, shallow DOF, large sensor, for better low light performance, interchangeable lenses. Sure you can get good low light performance from these cams and a fast lens, but have you tried to hold focus in a dimly illuminated room,with a wide open f1.4 lens, it isn't easy, and if your subject is on the move, if you dont nail the focus, you lose the shot. I have used virtually every kind of camera in the last 30 years and the DSLR has its place, I will still use my DSLR, but in a very limited way, compared to my video cameras.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:42 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Is exactly what I told.
I use the camera and only for some shooting in the house or during the party, an only for very particular situation I use the DSLR,
But I know that there are people that are cancelled the videocamera use only for the DSLR, and this is the reason because I ask to know who and how they are able to do a completely wedding for that.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM   #20
Regular Crew

As I've said before DSLRs are not the appropriate camera for weddings. I do use them for b-roll for wedding montages but that is because you can select the best clips for that. For a ceremony all the clips need to be perfect and have a large depth of field.
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:53 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Yes Keith, but as you can read also here many people are very pryde to tell us that they don't use anymore the camera but only the DSLR for the wedding.
This is the reson beacuse I asking as is possible, for all the ostacle you have to avoid the use of videocamera and shooting only with DSLR.
I repeat, u can use the DSLR as a B camera for the nice detail wit a nice DOF if you have 2operators, one with a usual camera and one with the DSLR.But if you are alone is totally impossible for me, so I asked before if there is here one that is able and can show it, please goahead and explain how.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM   #22
Major Player

OK Gianni, it is possible, but you must be
A. Experienced
B. Know your equipments strengths and work with them
C. Know when to use any given lens, and change lenses when neccesary
D. Be confident that you can operate the equipment, confidentely, in any situation.

There is no point in asking individuals how they do it, they do it because they can, and they want to. We all work in different ways, there is no right or wrong way, just the way we each do it, to our own, and our clients satisfaction.

Last edited by Colin Rowe; May 23rd, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Colin I agree, for all....I have experinece, I know what the lens I have can do but....when you change situation,out in ine the room,differemt light,you have to cahnge expo, iso and so on in the evry quick time.You have to put the DSLR in the very stable shoulder,otherwise you will have a little vibration....for all thi reason and for what I saw in Vimeo and around the web sites,I am very curious to know how the people can do it.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM   #24
Major Player

You change exposure, iso, white balance etc very quickly, that aspect of DSLR shooting is no different to using a video camera. Use a tripod or monopod for every shot. Practice, practice, practice
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:59 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I always shoot with two operators and two to three pro-level video cameras. They tend to be higher-end weddings. Out of focus shots (due to depth of field) or poor audio would not be acceptable. The DSLR is really great for making montages though. It is my camera of choice for that type of need. Admittedly I shoot as few weddings as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Paolella View Post
Yes Keith, but as you can read also here many people are very pryde to tell us that they don't use anymore the camera but only the DSLR for the wedding.
This is the reson beacuse I asking as is possible, for all the ostacle you have to avoid the use of videocamera and shooting only with DSLR.
I repeat, u can use the DSLR as a B camera for the nice detail wit a nice DOF if you have 2operators, one with a usual camera and one with the DSLR.But if you are alone is totally impossible for me, so I asked before if there is here one that is able and can show it, please goahead and explain how.
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I dont do weddings but I am debating getting rid of my old camera. Still having reservations though due to some of the differences of dslr.
Mike Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:36 PM   #27
Trustee

Very difficult mate, dslr not for gun and run or on the go, you need time and plenty of it, i am getting used to the 60d but in reality not for weddings, should have not really bothered...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Yea your right. I think the size of the church is kind of important too. Of course with bigger churches its not as much of a problem. With smaller churches it is. But yea if the everything else is balanced, it should not be an issue for the most part
Keith Betters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Very difficult mate, dslr not for gun and run or on the go, you need time and plenty of it, i am getting used to the 60d but in reality not for weddings, should have not really bothered...
Steve, you've probably "battled it" enough for now, we each have to do what's best for our way of working, the "assistant" resources we have available, and equipment that works for us. It does sound like you need to look at a couple of camcorders that can function the way you need for them to.

(More money...)

The people who use DSLR's well at weddings will tend to be those who have worked with SLRs and DSLRs for quite awhile in the past, and are well "tuned in" to that camera type. Transferring focus reflexes and other operating skills to video came fairly natural.

And there are others without previous SLR experience who can pick up a DSLR (or ANYTHING), quickly get familiar with it and ROLL.

I fall in the former category, but have a couple of decades of "autofocus" use that has somewhat "degraded" some of my former rapid focus skills although I am getting them back.

I would recommend you look into something like the Canon HFS21 (which has an EVF) as something that should work similar to the HV cameras but get you into a "tapeless" workflow and your help should be able to work with those as well as they did the HV's.

Carry one 60D with something like the EF 50mm for those "portrait perspective", lovely selective focus shots (using a compact monopod) and don't try much more than that until you "nail" that look down.

Add one or two other "special" shots the 60D will do better and just keep it simple. Then put the 60D in the case and concentrate on the one or two camcorder operators.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #30
Trustee

Bruce you are spot on i have just done that.... sold one of the 60ds for now but instead of the sd card based camcorder i got another hv40 bargain price so 2x hv40 and a 60d and guess what, yesterday all brilliant, used the two hvs colours brilliant all matching no messing around, used the 60d for the flycam nano and reception rack focus shots also slider creative, some in the church and some dance so my work flow is now easier..... for sure... the 60d is brill but not for a 14 hour wedding shoot, there are to many issues....dont get me wrong i am now used to the 60d and the footage is great but like you know! you need other people that help around you to be able to use the 60d also on the same wave length as you.i will in the future have all dslr but until im confident all around me can do it the way i want it done then?? so at the moment the footage is good, the colours match brilliant!! with the prices i charge i cannot afford to spend weeks and weeks messing around in post for matching colours.so for now im good, also i tried the hv40 in 25p cinemode all sets +1 and the footage i see know different from the 60d footage as regards to quality, as i have said before the clients want good solid fottage and good story i think they are very unaware of film look and the blurred out background that we all crave in dslr. steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD