Media management on a week long shoot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Media management on a week long shoot?

This isn't a 7D specific question, but figured I'd ask here since there's not a general DSLR forum (unless I'm blind).

I'm going to be shooting for a week in Mexico, trying to work out media management. Basically I'll be shooting all day, then will need to unload cards at night on laptop.

What I do normally is just import the clips into Final Cut as ProRes LT, then reuse the cards. But I'm thinking about not doing that while in the field, for transfer time sake and storage size.

So here are my thoughts, please let me know if you think of a better way:

- Transfer entire contents of card each day to external hard drive, keeping the file structure in place but putting each card into it's own folder ("1-1" for Day 1/Reel 1).
- Backup external HD to duplicate external HD after each day's transfer
- After returning to office import entire week as ProRes from external HD.

Any reason this wouldn't work? It seems to be to be the quickest (on site) transfer and smallest file size.

Thanks!

Bryan
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Media management on a week long shoot?

That is exactly the workflow I use and I go overseas for longer periods of time than one week. I then convert all my files when i get back.

On one trip though I did convert the files every night in FCP and it was a good way to log the days shoot. I found that it took to much time after spending a long day of filming and haven't done it since.

One thing I make sure to do though is put the video from my interviews with the audio from the Zoom recorder into a folder so that I can sync them up later. Makes life much easier.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD