Lens advice - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Lens advice

What do you mean by the Tamron's having focusing issues? Any of these lenses are going to be slow and awkward to auto-focus with for video - even Canon L-series lenses. Because in video mode they use the much slower contrast-detect AF rather than the phase-detect AF system they use for stills, all of them will perform pretty poorly in video mode. It is far better to learn how to manual focus properly.

The Sigma 17-70 is not a constant aperture zoom (it goes from f/2.8 at wide to f/4 when you zoom) which explains the cheaper price.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Do it.
I just got one of these as a general purpose lens on my new Canon 600D. It's my first EF-S lens as until now I have been using 5DIIs with EF lenses. It's a quarter of the price of the Canon 17-55mm F/2.8 but seems quite decent. There are evidently two versions one with & the without image stabilisation (or Vibration Compensation as Tamron call it). I got the version with IS (or VC) as it was only about 10% more expensive but it is really noisy compared to any of my Canon lenses with IS.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #18
Trustee

Though I've only used the non-VC version, from all reports I've read the newer VC version is not as good optically. It's a shame - the optical quality of the non-VC version is equal to the Canon version, but unfortunately only the Canon one seems to put IS and IQ into the same package - albeit at a much higher price.
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #19
Trustee

I just bought the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 and i am really happy with my 60d

stelios
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #20
Regular Crew

John: I was reading reviews over at B&H saying that the 70-200 2.8 has some slow focus problems which make the lens a touch problematic.

Though I know IS or VC or whatever they call them (:p) isn't needed for video I DO plan on taking photos as well with the camera so want a lens that can function as both.

Hmmm, more to think about. I would want some form of IS on the lens that is competent. How much is sacrificed, I wonder, in that Tameron because I was leaning towards that because the Sigma changes ranges.
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #21
Trustee

What sort of photos do you plan on taking? For anything other than really fast sports, the AF is fine. Portraits, weddings, even unpredictable children are pretty easy to shoot without any interference from the AF system. I've certainly never had any issues with the AF for stills, not even for surfing photos.

And for video, as I said before, it's a non-issue.
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #22
Regular Crew

John: I'll be doing concerts. I took out the 55-250 this week and it was not so great though I did snag a few usable images.

The 50mm 1.8 did nicely though gave me pause on if I SHOULD pick up the 1.4.

I mean, hey, in an ideal world where money wasn't a factor I'd snag the Canon 70-200, 17-55 and 50 1.4 but that would be about $6000 :p
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Personally I regretted buying the 50mm 1.8. I wish I'd just hung on and saved the cash for the 1.4 instead. Much nice focus ring and the wider apperture is really useful for events where you have no control over the light.
Stephen Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Just to report that I returned the Tamron SP AF 17-50 mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Lens & paid the extra to buy the Canon 17-55mm F/2.8 USM IS instead. The Tamron was unsuitable for video for many reasons. You need to turn the focus & zoom rings like a Nikon i.e. the wrong way round for a Canon. The image stabilisation was really noisy & the AF wasn't very fast. You get what you pay for & the Canon lens of course focuses the correct way but also the IS is quiet & AF is very fast.
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I haven't really regreated the $112 I paid for the 1.8, to be honest. It's been the lens I've gone to the most and has held up very well in night-time shooting (see my SHOW YOUR WORK thread in that forum for examples). True, the focus ring bring right on the edge is a pain in the ass.

Again, how much of a dif is it to merit the extra $450?

As for the Tameron VC, I have opted against that one due to what others have posted and reviews I have read stating it worse then the none VC.

The none VC, though, is said to hold it's own against the much pricier Canon. Grrr...the choices..
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #26
Regular Crew

My 2p worth:

I've gone for the following with my 60D and getting really good results with them:

Tokina 11-16 2.8
Canon 17-55 2.8
Sigma 70-200 2.8 (just as nice as the Canon when I did tests against a friend's Canon 70-200 2.8 - even with stills)

I'm looking forward to something along the lines of the 24-105, but faster than f4. I think that length range hits the sweet-spot for most of my filming needs - often I find the 17-55 not long enough and the 70-200 not wide enough, so end up changing lenses more than I'd like.

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:54 AM   #27
Inner Circle

The 3X crop feature on the 600D gives you the extra reach of the 70-200mm lens (longer in fact at 260mm) without changing lenses.
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #28
Regular Crew

So, as a bit of an update:
I just snagged the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS.

The Canon just seemed overpriced and after agonizing over comparrisons and reviews there didn't seem to be a heap of difference. Sigma came with case, hood and a whopping 10-YEAR warranty!

Haven't really tested it out much yet. Will see if the weather clears today.

First thought: I kept seeing that the AF was "silent". I find it to be quite loud, actually.

Last edited by Robert James; June 17th, 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #29
Trustee

Not had a problem with mine Nigel? What do ya mean the focus is the wrong way around? On my 60d don't know what you mean?
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I'll tack my question on here because there's a lot of lens knowledge in all your heads. I'm talking stills now and I'm looking for a constant f/2.8 aperture..

The 80 - 200mm f/2.8 is a great portrait lens on a full-frame SLR, but what is there out there for my diddly-chipped Canon 60D? Is there an equivalent lens in the Canon / Tamron / Sigma / Tokina stable?

I've just been informed by Sigma UK that the Japanese tsunami has disrupted all supplies of the new IS 50 - 150 f/2.8 and they've no idea when they'll see their first one.

The other interesting lens looks to be the Tokina 50 - 135 ATX f/2.8 but that too seems to be almost non existent. Maybe the Tsunami again?

Maybe there are others?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD