T2i - Movie stopped recording automatically - What gives? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 9th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: T2i - Movie stopped recording automatically - What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
I can't find the thread but it was mentioned that formatting cards cause more trouble than not formatting them? The poster explained in details why we should not format cards.
You should run into NO TROUBLE formatting your media cards. Of course I'm assuming quality media, "bargain" brand, no telling what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
I've only done 2 dslr shoots so far, each shoot less than an hour and have not formatted them. What's best practice coz I am confused right now.
Here's what I've done since getting my first flash media camcorder (and this has worked for me with the Canon T1i, T2i, 7D, 60D, and T3i):

When I come back from a shoot, first thing I do is copy the day's "take" from the media card to TWO external hard drives. When I confirm the files are "good" on both drives, I put that media card aside while I review the day's files.

Then the card goes back in the camera (when I am sure I won't need to copy them again), and is reformatted before the next use.

I copy files needed for editing from one of the two external drives over to the internal drive in my computer so I can work with them as needed (at that point I have 3 copies each on different hard drives).

A reformatted media card insures the camera can write new video (and still) files in the fastest, most orderly and efficient fashion instead of the operating system having to refer to the file allocation table to find unused spots on the media.

Hope this helps.

Oh, I only use SanDisk media, never had a media related problem.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #17
Trustee

Pat Flores:

my next purchase for memory is the sandisk 32 uh1....

Pat, You won't regret it, I order those in 16GB size and have several packed with my 60D. Our cameras probably don't need the speed (my older, slower SanDisk Class (6) and Class (10) worked just fine with the T2i I had) but it may be a bit of "future proofing" for us.

In addition the UH Extreme Pro series is in a tougher steel case.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Pat, You won't regret it, I order those in 16GB size and have several packed with my 60D. Our cameras probably don't need the speed (my older, slower SanDisk Class (6) and Class (10) worked just fine with the T2i I had) but it may be a bit of "future proofing" for us.

In addition the UH Extreme Pro series is in a tougher steel case.
yeah for me its about future proofing because its only a matter of time before a body comes out that requires minimum class 10...
Pat Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #19
Major Player

Thanks for the advice Bruce. I did invest on Sandisk, majority of the DVIers attest to Sandisk's reliabilty so I went with them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD