Modding a high-end XLR mike for T2i advise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Modding a high-end XLR mike for T2i advise

I was wondering if anyone has had success with any particular connector/mount scenario that works well for plugging in a balanced XLR mike to the T2i's mini-plug jack.

I have played around with it a little; but don't have a good audio store locally to go in and experiment.

Looking for some advise!
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Modding a high-end XLR mike for T2i advise

buy a separate recorder, best advice I can give.

Depending on what mic you have it can be just a matter of a cable that you can purchase pre-made
if your mic requires phantom power then its a whole different topic and you will need either a preamp or recorder that can supply this.

This topic is extremely well covered if you do a search.

I for one believe the audio circuit in a T21 isn't worth the effort in trying to make work for anything besides ENG type stuff and then only if you use Magic Lantern and other stuff. which is a operating system hack that could potentially turn your camera into a paperweight.

I would recommend you getting a recorder that can deal with a good mic and syncing in post.

GG
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #3
Major Player

What I'm moving towards for run and gun is mounting my h1 recorder and a shotgun mic or wireless receiver on the camera. I can use the h1 as a preamp with level adjustments and level meters, sending the audio out to the camera. And even record in the h1 simultaneously for backup and higher quality if needed.

For situations where more equipment won't weigh me down, using a SD mixpre gives easier level adjustment (dial) and a more readable display (colored LED) as well as probably slightly better noise floor and clipping behavior, not to mention phantom power and a 1k calibration tone for aligning pre to camera.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advise guys!
David Stembridge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD