Is there an open-source time-lapse software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Trustee

Is there an open-source time-lapse software?

I have a canon rebel XS and I would like to do some time-lapse photography. The XS does not have this built in natively, so I am looking for an alternative. I have heard of some open source stuff, but couldn't track the software down. Any ideas, suggestion or links?
Thanks
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Is there an open-source time-lapse software?

Are you looking for an intervalometer (which automatically makes the camera take photos at set intervals, and has been added to some Canon DSLR's via a firmware hack) or are you looking for software which compiles all the photos you've taken into a video file?
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Look on the CD that came with the camera. I think it's called "Canon Utilities" but don't quote me. Install that software and it will have the program to allow you to have full remote control of your camera and includes the ability to set up time lapse and save the photos to your HDD on the laptop if you want.

I don't have that exact camera but 3 other Canon dSLRs and what you do is connect the camera to your computer via the USB cable (included with the camera) and then open the software and make your settings.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

HI David,

Look into this remote controller (TC 80 N3) for Canon EOS cameras. It is a remote shutter control (you can set it via the remote for exposures longer than 1 second and bulb exposures etc). But, you can also do interval or time lapse images from 1 every second to 1 every 99hrs. Check it out with the link below. B&H sells it much cheaper. You can read the reviews for it there too. I am going to get one as soon as I can afford it with a longer extension cord.

Canon Direct Store- Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3

Good luck!
Duane Harper Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

At over $200 the Canon TC-80N3 controller is really expensive. There are any number of seemingly identical copies available for a fraction of the price (down to less than $10) e.g.

The two cheap non-Canon controllers that I have used with a Canon 5DII worked perfectly for time lapse.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Trustee

There's also a couple of cheap battery grips available that include an intervalometer. These have the additional bonus of not having to worry about an AC adaptor on long time-lapses, because you have double the battery life.

Or you could use Magic Lantern for free, which has a time-lapse function.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:26 PM   #7
Trustee

I had an off brand intervalometer for my t2i which was about $50 on Amazon which worked perfectly. And it even had an on/off switch which my Canon brand for the 5D/7D doesnt!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Agree with the above, the cheap timers on eBay work as well as the Canon for a fraction of the price.
Jon Rule is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD