FD to EF mount adapter - it's that simple? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 30th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #1
Major Player

FD to EF mount adapter - it's that simple?

There are some very cheap FD mount lenses on Ebay. Is it just a case of buying a cheapie FD to EF mount to attach one of these, let's say a 50mm 1.4 prime, onto my 60D? I know that focus and aperture will all be done manually by the lens rings but it is that it?, nothing else to be aware of? It just sounds too easy and too cheap..!
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: FD to EF mount adapter - it's that simple?

Sadly no. The distance from the back of the lens to the sensor is wrong so an adaptor needs to have a lens in it to focus on the sensor correctly. The problem is that with the cheap $30 FD to EOS adaptors usually available that the lens in them is pretty poor quality. When Canon introduced the EOS mount & killed FD they produced a high quality FD to EOS adaptor but that only works with the top of the line expensive FD mount telephoto lenses (I think that 200mm was the minimum). It is also possible to buy a glassless adaptor that does allow focus to infinity but only for the extreme telephoto 600mm & 800mm FD lenses http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_611wt_1141
The sort of lens that you get in a $30 adaptor isn't going to give a very good image.

However I have recently heard of a new higher quality adaptor available at around $100 & have just ordered one myself as I have a nice collection of FD 'L' lenses. CANON FD - EF EOS ADAPTER AF CONFIRM UK DESIGN | eBay

The final option is that it is possible to get FD lenses converted to EF mount but this does require machining by a skilled craftsman & consequently is not cheap.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks Nigel, i knew it wouldnt be simple!
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Nigel,

Once you receive the adapter, please let us know how it performed. I also have quite a few FD lenses that I'd like to use, but haven't found a decent adapter.

Thank you,

Phil
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm also looking for a Canon FD converter that doesn't make things look like there's a heavy fog.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Trustee

With the glass adaptors you also get a further 1.3x crop factor with all your lenses - and thats on top of the 1.6x crop of the aps-c sensor. So your 50mm lens becomes a 65mm lens with a FOV equivelant to a 104mm lens when used on the 550D.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
However I have recently heard of a new higher quality adaptor available at around $100
I am afraid as long as adapter uses cheap glass it'll be the same poor quality adapter with different name, I tried a few of them, they all make FD lenses soft
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Major Player

I agree, Buba. I'm curious, though, to see how Nigels' new adapter works. Guess I'm being too hopeful Seems like SOMETHING has to work eventually...
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:38 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
I am afraid as long as adapter uses cheap glass it'll be the same poor quality adapter with different name, I tried a few of them, they all make FD lenses soft
I'll let you know when I receive my adaptor but I am optimistic as the adaptor is not a cheap Chinese plastic one but made by a proper craftsman here in the UK who repairs & services lenses. FD to EF Adapters
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:30 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I'll let you know when I receive my adaptor
please do, I really hope you're right about that one
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I have one of these adapters, and I'm very pleased with it; the guy who makes them is very responsive to queries too.
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gordon View Post
I have one of these adapters, and I'm very pleased with it; the guy who makes them is very responsive to queries too.
That's good to hear. I may ask him about getting my FD lenses de-clicked & permanently converted to EF mount as it seems unlikely that I shall ever use them on a camera that they were designed for. I am in France ATM but will be back in the UK in a couple of days so hopefully my adaptor will be waiting for me.
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #13
Trustee

yesterday i tried 135mm f:2 with another FD to EF adpter, without glass , razor sharp image where you able to focus, but it's a very limited focal length range where you can get a focus
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #14
Major Player

Just a note - Canon FL lenses are apparently easier to convert. I sent a 55mm f1.2 for conversion to Jim Buchanan. Came back looking beautiful. This lens much less expensive than the FD version and is phenomenally sharp at 2.0. It has a click at 1.4 that is useful and 1.2 is there when you need it. The conversion was $125. Before and after conversion pix attached.
Attached Thumbnails
FD to EF mount adapter - it's that simple?-img_6729.jpeg   FD to EF mount adapter - it's that simple?-img_6890.jpeg  

Old August 27th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Sad to report but the FD to EOS adaptor is OK but not great. It is much better than the cheap versions but comparing between FD lens plus adaptor versus a native EF lens the sharpness is way down. It may be that the old FD (50mm F/1.2L, 24mm F/1.4L etc) lenses that I have are not great examples or that the modern EF 'L' lenses I have (70-200mm F/2.8 etc) are so much better in comparison. The adaptor i usable but no substitute for a native lens.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD