550 (So Scared) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 24th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #16
Major Player

600D vs 60D FCP

I understand exactly what you are saying but my clients are looking for a specific look that only the DSLRs are currently producing. I am going to mix the XHA1 and the DSLR footage.

I Met with the Canon Rep today and fell in love with the 600D, until he said that all movies created on the 600D would first need to be converted before being imported into FCP. The movies recorded on the 60D will not need to be converted. Has anybody had experience with this and what is the average conversion time?
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Re: 550 (So Scared)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
I Met with the Canon Rep today and fell in love with the 600D, until he said that all movies created on the 600D would first need to be converted before being imported into FCP. The movies recorded on the 60D will not need to be converted. Has anybody had experience with this and what is the average conversion time?
Your Canon Rep is talking through his backside. The video files from the 600D are exactly the same as those from the 60D & exactly the same as video files from all the other Canon DSLRs (550D, 7D & 5D Mk II). The cameras use exactly the same sensor & DIGIC 4 processor chip.

FCP has a hard time with the H.264 MPEG4 format that the Canon DSLRs record in & you will want to convert to ProRes before editing.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Re: 600D vs 60D FCP

Quote:
I understand exactly what you are saying but my clients are looking for a specific look that only the DSLRs are currently producing.
Well with the advent of the big-chipped camcorders from Panasonic and Sony your DSLR statement doesn't hold water. It might be time to ditch the 600D plans, sell the XHA1 and pool the money on the AF101.

And good that you bounce off 'Canon rep' tosh here. Reps are taught to keep on speaking even when the info runs out.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Well with the advent of the big-chipped camcorders from Panasonic and Sony your DSLR statement doesn't hold water. It might be time to ditch the 600D plans, sell the XHA1 and pool the money on the AF101.
I have an AF101. It's a lovely camera on a tripod. None of the large chip camcorders are as simple & unobtrusive to use as a DSLR. I love being able to walk around shooting video with a stills camera albeit usually with a loupe & monopod. The AF101 is a big awkward lump by comparison. So it's not just about the 'look' of the video it's also about the ergonomics of using the camera.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #20
Major Player

600d

Hi,

What are the most common problems I should be expecting after I purchase the 600D and is there anything you can recommend which should help be before they happen. I am thinking along the lines of

1) What is the best memory cards size and make to buy?
2) After I have captured my footage how easy is it to import into Final Cut Pro?
3) I want to purchase a Light Panel and an external Mic is there a way I can attach them both to the camera
4) Can anybody recommend a good (cheap) rig which I could use for a wedding shoot which will incorporate the battery grip, the light panel and external mic and possibly a LCD display.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
1) What is the best memory cards size and make to buy?
2) After I have captured my footage how easy is it to import into Final Cut Pro?
3) I want to purchase a Light Panel and an external Mic is there a way I can attach them both to the camera
4) Can anybody recommend a good (cheap) rig which I could use for a wedding shoot which will incorporate the battery grip, the light panel and external mic and possibly a LCD display.
1. I would personally buy a series of 16GB cards, for weddings I would rather have multiples of 16, than a few of 32GB. Stick with Sandisk (I have great success with Transcend 400x as well, but there are knockoffs).

2. I can drag and drop my DSLR footage right into the FCP timeline. This is with FCP7 - With the canon plugin you can also log and transfer to prores right from the camera.
Link: Canon DLC: Article: EOS Movie Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro: Key Features & Sample Workflow

3. Your gonna need a rig to attach all of that to the camera, there are no native, compact mount solutions for DSLRs to run an XLR mic into.

If you get something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363083-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_VideoMic_Camera_Mounted.html
You are still going to be fighting the AGC - audio will be MUCH improved, but not stellar.

4. Sounds like a lot of stuff... which means the rig isn't going to be cheap. I dont know too much about rigs so Ill refrain from this one.

Hope it helps.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD