Big price difference for the 60D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 24th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Big price difference for the 60D

Good afternoon. I mostly shoot video with Panasonic P2 cameras. I have a Canon 10D that I want to replace. I'm looking at the 60 D for stills and B roll for weddings. Why is there a big price difference when I search for (body only) the 60D? I mostly shop at B&H but there are other sites for just the body much cheaper.

Thanks for the info.
Art
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Big price difference for the 60D

Short answer: Because some people operate dishonest businesses.

Are the lower priced stores ones you've shopped with before? Are they reliable, reputable and positively reviewed? If not, I'd avoid them because otherwise you are playing the internet shoppong version of Russian Roullete. You might be getting a grey market import, no warranty, an open box product with parts missing, a refurbished model, slow delivery from Hong Kong (despite them telling you they currently have stock locally), bait and switch tactics, etc, etc.

Of course, there might be some legitimate bargains out there, but whether or not the risk is acceptable is up to you. If you stick to reputable seller like B & H, you know what you are getting.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have always had good results with B&H. Thanks. Not knowing much about the camera, just wondering if there were different types of alloy/body material as the reason for the big difference. Same old slight of hand trick, I see.

Thanks for responding. Looks like a good camera for me.

Art
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #4
New Boot

I just bought a 60D from a site similar to B&H(B&H was sold out at the time). A couple things are affecting its price: 1) Availability is still scarce and demand seems high. When retailers get them they sell quickly and then people repost them on Amazon and mark it up. Also there are less reputable dealers that are marking it up just because. 2) Right Now B&H and a couple other sites are doing a $100 off promotion through September 3rd. So the normally $999(US) body is selling for $899 (An amazing deal I must say.)

If you need one and find one for a good price, I suggest you buy it immediately. I'm really liking this camera.

Mike
Michael Hendzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mike,

Yes, B&H is where I see the best "legitimate" Hard to beat the $100.00 off and free shipping. Although, I may have waited too late. They are out of stock.

Art
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Adorama offers the same deal but I have never ordered from them.

Art
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I've bought from Adorama. They have always done me right and have a good reputation.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I see that Adorama is not a dealer sponsor, but they are a rental sponsor for DVInfo.

Sponsors at DVInfo.net

So feel free to rent the body from them. ;)

FWIW, I've purchased from Adorama, but their site doesn't necessarily tell you what's in stock. Check before you buy. B&H's site is much better regarding what's in-stock.
Old August 31st, 2011, 07:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

All good info. Now I just have to harvest the money to get it while it's on sell.

Thanks much,
Art
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi,
I just bought the canon 60d. I have the canon 10d and Sony FX7 video camera. I usually buy all my camera equipment from B&H photo. For online I would not buy from anywhere else. They usually have good prices. I find the camera equipment usually does not very that much in price. And I always ask my self what is the catch if I find it significanly lower price than B& H Photo.
I was going to the US Open tennis tournament so I purchased mine from Cosco. It is the kit with the 18-200mm lens. They just got a shipment in the store and hadn't set up the display yet. I think the price was around $1200US. That included camera body, lens, camera case and 4GB SD card.
My trip got canceled do to the hurricane in the East cost of the US. bumer :-) my brother is currently using it on his trip on the USS Ronald Regan Aircraft Carier traveling from Pearl Harbor to San Diego, ca USA.

John Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art White View Post
Good afternoon. I mostly shoot video with Panasonic P2 cameras. I have a Canon 10D that I want to replace. I'm looking at the 60 D for stills and B roll for weddings. Why is there a big price difference when I search for (body only) the 60D? I mostly shop at B&H but there are other sites for just the body much cheaper.

Thanks for the info.
Art
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #11
Major Player

I forgot to add that you have to worry about gray market warranties.Tthat's a warranty that is not good in the USA. So if you see camera equipment a few hundred dollars cheeper ask if it is Gray market. A lot of the NYC place switch warranties on you without you knowing it. Or this is what they used to do in the past.

John Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art White View Post

Thanks for the info.
Art
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #12
Regular Crew

That's something to think about now that you mention it. I'm waiting for B&H to come back down in price again. I should have just bought the body when it was on sell. I want to use it for video also so I'll be looking for a lens. Hopefully they will come down in price again. I know they go fast!

Art
Art White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD