time lapse 60 D to integrate with EX1R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 24th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

time lapse 60 D to integrate with EX1R

I have a possible job coming up where I will have to do time lapse with my 60 D and a couple of EX1R's. The Sony's are very easy to shoot and edit time lapse but if I get an intervalometer for the 60D what is the best frame size in stills mode I should use that would work well with the 2 EX's? I will be posting in FCP 6.

Thank You

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: time lapse 60 D to integrate with EX1R

In my experience its not so much what frame size you choose to shoot in. Its more relevant on what you export the timelapse sequences to. I have no experience with the EX1R but if its shooting in 1080 you would simply export your timelapse as 1920x1080 and the appropriate frame rate.
Stephen Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

My workflow:

Shoot the timelapse stills as big as you can - JPEGS full quality, unless you're happy to convert hundreds of RAW files. This will give you additional scope to "pan & scan" across the timelapse movie as the JPEGS will be bigger than your timeline resolution - you can do a good job most of the time just using FCP's motion controls.

To create your timelapse movie:

Use Quicktime 7, import files, point it at the first image (they will all be sequential from the 60D) and instruct it to import as image sequence. Don't resize the resulting movie window! Then export it as a self-contained MOV without any resizing. You'll end up with a 5K (or so) self-contained uncompressed MOV - usually fairly large, but bring that directly into FCP and resize/add nodes to suit - that way you get the benefit of timelapse plus the ability to add pans and scans.

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies; I appreciate the import notes as well. The job postponed, but in the meantime my intervalometer has arrived so I will do some tests to see which frame size works best next to the EX1's. I think the option to do moves with hi res images is interesting but not sure how it will cut with the Sony's.

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD