Shutter speed for slowmo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 25th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shutter speed for slowmo

To assist with slow motion shooting is it advisable to really ramp up the shutter speed (to the highest number possible taking into account available light) when shooting at 60p?
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Shutter speed for slowmo

I don't know that it needs to be the fastest possible, but you want it to be fast enough to avoid motion blur. It's much easier for the software to estimate motion based on hard, well-defined edges than on soft edges. Soft edges include a mix of the background and foreground. Once the background and foreground are mixed, the software cant separate them and move them in different directions.
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Whenever I shoot in 60p my shutter speed is in the range of 1/125 - 1/160th and its worked well.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Major Player

My shutter is around 1600 / 60p. Works great for me. I then conform with Apple Cinema Tools to 30p and then bring it into Apple's Motion then back into FCP to slow it down. No special plugin needed and it looks amazing.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It really depends on the scene. Lets say you are filming from a sidewalk with a 35mm lens as a couple walks down the opposite side of the street. 1/120 is probably fast enough. Now a car passes by near the camera. 1/1600 might be necessary to keep the car crisp. (Not to mention that the car will move so far between frames that the software might not handle it well.)

1/250 is probably adequate for moderate motion. If the motion too fast (as in the car case), a faster shutter will be needed to get sharp edges, but it might be moot if the software can't handle large displacement anyway.

1/1600 is fine though, if you have enough light. There's no such thing as too fast a shutter. They key is to get crisp edges on motion.
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Tourist

I try to shoot at at least 1000 for anything im going to slow down, using Twixtor, 1000 at 60fps has produced some great results.
Phil Eldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Everyones talk of using a really really high shutter got me thinking... I routinely use 1/160th for things I twixtor, but those also aren't things that go very quickly and I am usually shooting a wide lens...

Ill have to give this a go tonight.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Major Player

One of the problems of jacking the shutter speed too high is if you ramp from normal speed to slow mo and back. The slow section will look fine, but at normal speed it'll be all strobey.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Inner Circle

One way to counter that is to make it all super slowmo. When going back to normal speed, blend the frames to create artificial motion blur.
Old November 11th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #10
New Boot

Are you using Twixtor or some such software? Slow Motion plugins like to have higher shutter speeds to work with because there is less image blur, and thus, it's easier for the software to work.
Charlton Chars is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD