samyang 35mm 1.4 m/f - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 20th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: samyang 35mm 1.4 m/f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Edward it just did not cut the mustard, to much grain in a dark room filled with guests, shutter 50, iso 3200, in focus, 50mm 1.8 at 1,8!! I could have dropped the shutter to 30 but to much jekiness going on!! Dont want to use light? So next step 30mm or the 35mm, 1.4??
Geez, what was it? Candle light? Last time I shot in a dim reception room at 1.8 and 1600 the footage came out brighter on the camera than the scene was to my eye. Hey, not disputing. Anything's possible.

Anyway, I recently tossed up between the Samyang and the Sigma. They seem actually kinda equivalent in quality from reviews. I went with the Sigma because it was a bit cheaper, the Samyang wasn't readily available yet and I couldn't wait. The reviews seem generally fair: it's razor sharp most of the time, but weak at the edges wide open. Generally this isn't a problem. With video I get the impression that this low edge resolution combined with the onboard compression is actually adding a bit of murkiness to the shadows. Mostly this won't matter if you are shooting shallow focus. But, going back to the reviews again, you aren't going to get fantastic corner to corner sharpness at wide open until you spend 5 or even 10 times as much. If you absolutely need beautiful smooth shadows on long focus in low light you need to go get an Alexa or something.

The Sigma is also a sturdy little thing with a tiny profile about a centimeter longer than the ol' Canon 1.8 plastic fantastic, which is handy in some instances. Although sometimes I have felt that the Samyang being really long would make it easier to operate in some instances.
I mention it only because it might be a consideration.

Would I recommend it? I don't know exactly. Some people are picky-er about some aspects of lenses than others. I'm fairly easy to please. I'm just saying that there's really nothing else besides these two at that price range (and they apparently match much more expensive lenses in many regards), I have the Sigma and its reviews, warts and all, seem accurate.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:02 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bakland View Post
The Samyang looks so favorable in that comparison. Was the 50 1.4 on the Canon shot at perhaps a stop too dark?
Whilst the natural daylight was a little variable, it's also the picture profile on the Canon - the simple basic 'dial in on the back' rather than a full-on Technicolor or Marvels - so although it looks a tad under, the highlights are brighter.
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #18
Regular Crew

samyang 35mm 1.4 m/f vs Sigma AF 30mm f/1.4

I use the Samyang 35mm F1.4 to film bands in very low light. It is a fantastic lens and is waaay better quality optically than the Sigma 30mm F1.4, and the Samyang 35mm F1.4 is optically very nearly equal to the Canon 35mm F1.4L.

Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC (EOS) - APS-C Format Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis
Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC (EOS) - APS-C Format Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis

Sigma AF 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM - Review / Test Report - Analysis
Sigma AF 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM - Review / Test Report - Analysis

Samyang 35 mm f/1.4 AS UMC
Samyang 35 mm f/1.4 AS UMC review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

I also own the 8mm & 14mm Samyangs and love the smooth focus, optical quality, and manual aperture ring.
Peter Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #19
Trustee

I use a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 (same as Samyang) with a GH2 & G2 and I have to say the lens is super-impressive....based on that I'd get the Samyang in a second!!!
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #20
Major Player

I was reading some lens guru once describing how, for obscure technical/physics reasons I don't recall, 85mm and 50mm prime lenses are some of the simplest lens lengths to make well. Which is why pretty much every brand makes a fast version of them that's relatively cheap and they rate really well in sharpness etc.
So you can't really judge anyone's entire line from those lenses, sadly.
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Christian View Post
I was reading some lens guru once describing how, for obscure technical/physics reasons I don't recall, 85mm and 50mm prime lenses are some of the simplest lens lengths to make well. Which is why pretty much every brand makes a fast version of them that's relatively cheap and they rate really well in sharpness etc.
So you can't really judge anyone's entire line from those lenses, sadly.
It's true what you say about 50mm primes in particular. But that doesn't have any bearing on the Samyang 35mm f/1.4. It is as good a bargain as the 85, if not better. The quality of this lens compares well to the canon 35mm f/1.4L and the Nikkor equivalent, so your overall saving is higher.

Those two Samyangs have excellent coatings and very high light transmission by any standard. The only thing they lack is automatic aperture and focus, but we don't want that anyway, right? No brainer for a video only lens, IMHO.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #22
Trustee

Everyone's getting in on the action:

Samyang on Epic: ProPic | Philip Bloom - Image on ProPic

And just for fun, Another Samyang 35mm f1.4 at night on FS100:
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Donnelly View Post
It's true what you say about 50mm primes in particular. But that doesn't have any bearing on the Samyang 35mm f/1.4. It is as good a bargain as the 85, if not better. The quality of this lens compares well to the canon 35mm f/1.4L and the Nikkor equivalent, so your overall saving is higher.

Those two Samyangs have excellent coatings and very high light transmission by any standard. The only thing they lack is automatic aperture and focus, but we don't want that anyway, right? No brainer for a video only lens, IMHO.
Oh absolutely. It just means check the reviews really. Brand can tell you other things about a lens line, broadly speaking: target markets/application, build quality etc. It's just the sharpness and speed of a 50 or 85 won't necessarily carry to everything.
( those shorter lengths are often quite difficult to make, I seem to recall. So props to Samyang for getting in there so cheap. I wanted to try one, but at the time I couldn't wait.)
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Here's a little flip/flop comparison between shooting with EX1R, FS100 with Samyang 35mm and Canon 5dMkII 50mm:

Samyang 35mm f1.4 compared with EX1 and Canon 50mm on Vimeo

Hopefully lots more to share soon.
Thanks for the clip. Was it just me or would it have been easier to digest if it hadn't flipped around so fast?
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I use a samyang 14mm f2.8 and a 85mm f1.4 (with my 550d) and I'm waiting for the 24mm f1.4 from Samyang that probably will come out end this year or beginning next year.

I just love my 2 other Samyangs but I have some issues with them;

1. The focus ring turns the opposite way from my Nikon lenzes I use with an adapter and that takes getting used to, I plan on selling my nikon nikkors anyway once I have the 24mm and will be using those 3 Samyang lenzes primarily then so focussing will be less confusing.

2. The iris blades get stuck from time to time on the 24mm and the 85mm which is very annoying and at the end of this year, when things calm down the lenzes will be returned for a check up, it occurs only if I don't use the camera for a while and if I then turn the iris ring nothing happens and after a few turns they snap into place and work normally until I put the camera aside for a while and use it again. The thing is that it has become worse after a some months of usage so hopefully I can get a replacement lens (as I still have warranty) or they get it fixed. Since both lenzes display the same problem (the 24mm has the problem a bit less) I can only conclude it must be a design problem.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The focus ring turns the opposite way from my Nikon lenses I use with an adapter and that takes getting used to
Haha! Spoken like a true Nikon fan. If the truth be told, all broadcast and cine lenses turn the *correct* way, and it's Nikon that insists that Infinity lies widdershins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The iris blades get stuck from time to time on the 24mm and the 85mm which is very annoying and at the end of this year, when things calm down the lenzes will be returned for a check up
Hmm, that's not so good. Is this using the adaptor? Mine was a little stiff due to the rubber seal on the Nikkor lens, which affected the iris actuation on the Canon. But the Samyang has been fine (though it's used on the FS100 almost exclusively now).
Old October 10th, 2011, 06:03 AM   #27
Inner Circle

On my canon xh-a1 I set the direction of the focus ring the same way as the nikon nikkors from the start, long before I worked with dslr's, don't ask me why, it just felt more natural to me so I guess Nikon knows best :D (I wasn't even aware what was broadcast standard)

I"m not using an adapter with my 550d, the problem also occurs when the lens is not attached. I wrote a email to the supplier in Poland, curious what they have to say about it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Offtopic but the fun bit is that the Nikon B4 mount (2/3" inch) broadcast lens I recently got focusses the right way around, and by that I mean like all other broadcast lenses.. So I have no idea why their photo lenses don't :)
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
I actually witnessed a funny moment at a school concert today - a mother was trying to take a photo, and kept reviewing them and saying "It's realy dark," to which 5 year old child said "maybe you should turn on some more lights." I thought it was funny that the solution seems so obvious to a 5-year-old child, while others run around worrying about fast lenses, high ISO performance, etc.
so many pastors, ministers, etc are so crazy they won't let me stand behind or even to the side of them, don't think running lights would be an option. concerts, shows, etc with stage lighting, same story
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 09:02 AM   #30
Regular Crew

+1 for the Samyang

I shot those on the 35 and 85 - they became my favorite glass in the moment.

Frank
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD