Wedding shoots and gears - exp. to share at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 31st, 2011, 03:18 AM   #1
New Boot

Wedding shoots and gears - exp. to share

Hello ladies and gents!

I would like to launch a small business would deal with wedding videography. I know that every scene is different, and everyone shoots different with the same gear under same circumstances therefore I would like to collect some info how do u shoot and what gear do you use.
My setup is:
- Bodies: 7D, 60D,
- Lens: 16-35 F2.8 USM II, 24-105 IS USM F4.0, 50 F1.4, 70-200 F2.8 USM,
- audio: ZoomH4N, Sennheiser G3, Rode SVM,
- lights: 24 LED (400lux) dim light + Sony 2x20W light
- others: Manfrotto 501 tripod, Manfrotto monopod, glidecam HD4000 with vest, Dvtec multirig, igus slider

a)
I think in the church (here I recommend on vimeo: stillmotion's videos) a tripod wisely advised. I think - considering my gears - I would go with the 16-35. The other cam i am hesitating . Go with monopod with the 50mm, or go with the steadicam??? I think there is not enough time to the slider if we are only 2. On both cam i would attach lights. Rode SVM on the moving cam., Zoom + sennheiser on the tripod cam.

b) preparation + photo
I think here is the time to use the slider, on cam with 50mm. The other with the 16-35 for fast changes. for wide shoots. I think when the couple goes out for photos, then the steadicam can be used with the 24-105 (assume there is enough light outside )

c) dinner + evening
maybe here can be used the multirig with one cam. + 16-35mm --> for quick movements, the other cam maybe with50mm. Lights attached + Rode SVM, tripod is ready all the time. Ocassionally special shoots with monopod.

this is how I intend to do....please share your opinions, experiences!!!
Ecker Bálint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 05:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Wedding shoots and gears - exp. to share

Hi Ecker.
Please take this as it is intended, constructive advise. Have you shot a wedding before? If not, try and shoot a few for free, just to get you in the groove.
Again, if you are just starting out, forget the DSLRs, they will make your work five times harder than using a conventional video camcorder.
Forget the slider and glidecam shots, just take the day, keep it as simple as you can.
Tripods are essential for all fixed cam shots, as are radio mics for the service.
If you are experienced in shooting weddings, I apologise, if the above comments seem a little high handed,
this is not my intention. I do use a DSLR, but ony for infills. My A and B cams are a Sony EX1 and the extremely powefull, if small, Panasonic TM900

Last edited by Colin Rowe; August 31st, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 07:18 AM   #3
New Boot

Hello!

Actually I did shot weddings. Not with dslr, but i have something around 70-80 in my past. Here i would like to collect some experience how the others do, what are habits, tricks.
The more I know the less supprise i will have.
Ecker Bálint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi, I agree at all with Colin.Forget to use the DSLR for wedding, but you can think about it s Camera B for details if you have the normal videocamer for main.
I normally use the Main Camera,in the preparation for example, Panasonic 151, and for soome details I use the Canon 60D with the lens Tamron 28-75or with the Flycamnano with Tokina 11-16 mm in the restaurant.
I never think about to use only the DSLR because the setup it's very hard if the cindition change and sometimes there is not time to change lens,Iso,Whire balance, and so on....
Gianni Paolella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

That's pretty much the same gear I use for my shoots. Shooting with DSLR is something to get used to but once u get the rythym, it's not too hard. Monopod and tripods are the key tools while the glide and slider are for creative shots that u can do when u have the time.

Are u filming with a second shooter? If not, I recommend you do!

Good luck and have fun!
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi Ecker, I was in the exact same situation a about a year ago. I had been in the professional production industry for years but decided that I wanted to create a wedding film business. I took my previous knowledge from the industry, worked hard to obtain new knowledge on the hd dslr world, and created the business. Fourtunately my company has already become a very successful wedding film in its 1st year. Our 2012 calendar is already 85% booked and are having to turn couples away. Like I said, I was just starting out 1 year ago....so I'd be happy to help out in any way possible! More information from you is needed to help make an accurate assesment about your setup. In the meantime, here are a few thoughts from my own experience...

- Yes, it is possible to shoot entire weddings on DSLRs. Under a few conditions though...#1, You will need at least 2 people/shooters, #2. Know your camera inside & out and be able to operate it with speed & precision, and #3. Always have a non DSLR backup in your bag.

Its impossible & unfair to comment on your specific gear until we get to know what kind of package you're offering your couples. For example, a package with a highlight only film would take significantly less & different gear than a package where you offer them say...a highlight film + the entire ceremony. So Ecker, what does your end product look like? What type of packages or variations of packages are you wanting to film with this gear?
Jud Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD