longer zoom or prime - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 21st, 2011, 07:41 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: samyang 85mm 1.4

Went for the samyang 85mm 1.4 lens instead,, woooooow excellent piece of kit, practicing with it at the moment, excellent focal distance... if the priest wont let me move i will have to argue with him hehe!! Anyone got the lens?? obviously its manual so got to keep adjusting the exposure wheel or shutter speed but want to keep it at 50 so any tips for me for the video side of things whilst in manual??steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM   #17
Major Player

Re: longer zoom or prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The Canon 135mm F/2L is a cracking good lens too. Very sharp, lovely bokeh & it's an F/2. Use the 2X teleconverter & you have a 270mm F2.8. I just bought the V2 version of the 2X teleconverter as it is reduced in price by 1/3 now that the V3 has is on sale.
Interesting. I though all 2x teleconverters lost you 2 stops, meaning you would go from f/2 to f/4. Are you referring to the Canon 2x II? As far as I know there's a 2 stop loss on that one.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:03 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Yep. It's f/4 with the 2x and f/2.8 with the 1.4x.

I've got the EF 200/2.8L II. Stunning lens. No IS. It accepts the extenders. The 2x softens the image a bit and the focus is slower at f/5.6, but it's fun to have that reach. Mostly, I like using it without the extender.

For narrative video, I think the 135/2L is more useful. You can get an f/2 or better set from 135 down to 24mm. For events and sports, the 200/2.8L is the better choice. These lenses use similar designs, like a big and little brother.

Last edited by Jon Fairhurst; September 22nd, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Jon Fairhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:01 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The Canon 135mm F/2L is a cracking good lens too. Very sharp, lovely bokeh & it's an F/2. Use the 2X teleconverter & you have a 270mm F2.8. I just bought the V2 version of the 2X teleconverter as it is reduced in price by 1/3 now that the V3 has is on sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Donnelly View Post
Interesting. I though all 2x teleconverters lost you 2 stops, meaning you would go from f/2 to f/4. Are you referring to the Canon 2x II? As far as I know there's a 2 stop loss on that one.
Absolutely correct. Sorry, that was my typo. As I just mentioned in another reply I have just been using the 2X teleconverter with a 70-200mm F/2.8L & 3X crop mode on my 600D which gives me the equivalent of a 1200mm F/5.6 or a 1920mm lens on a 5DII. Amazingly good images.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD