Problem installing magic lantern - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Problem installing magic lantern

On the new forum page "MagicLantern.com it still recommends 1.1.0

install [Magic Lantern wiki]

Personally I would stick with 1.1.0
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Donald,

Nowhere on that page you linked does it suggest using fw1.1.0 for any model using ML2.3.
You said you have the 550D/T2i/KissX4 so right now you should be using fw1.0.9 with ML2.2 and 1.0.9 with 2.3 when it becomes available to the general public.

I'm currently running fw1.1.0 on my 60D with ML2.2 but on the page you linked it clearly says 2.3 only works with 1.1.1. I stated this in my last post.

What are you referring to?
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thank you for the responses. I have successfully installed Magic Lantern on my 60D. Your replies prompted me to look closer at the specific version of firmware I needed to install. The latest Canon firmware (1.1.1) will not work. However, the good folks at ML have provided a link to the proper version (1.1.0).
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:33 PM   #19
Major Player

Nice to see that you got the firmware installed. Do you or anyone reading this thread know if there are specific instruction on how to install the firmware including what version work together. I might try it again but I would like one instruction page that cuts out all the confusion on what to perform, etc. That's the problem I had the one time I tried installing ML. On the instructions I had at the time nowhere did it say that I had to manually create the boot disk.. As an example.

Thanks,
John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Regular Crew

John,

My advice would be to wait until Aug 13th when the new version will be available.
This will work on the camera's latest firmware and should be the "best" version of ML to have on your camera.

In the meantime watch this video:
Old August 5th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #21
Major Player

Thank you so much for the great reply. i am going to take your advise and wait untill Aug 13 for thew new release. I watched the video and it makes thinks very easy to follow. At least with this current version of ML i do not have to creat a boot disk.. at least there is no mention of having to creat a boot disk just to coping the ML file to the SD card after formating the in the Camera. It will be great to get ML installed before I head to the Monterey Reunion Auto Races on Aug 16-19.This year they are featuring the Carrol Shelby Cobra historic Race cars.

John Gerard
Old August 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #22
Major Player

Re: Problm installing magic lantern

Hi,
i have a question about the new Follow Focus feature in ML. Is this actual full Ato Focusing in video mode or does the camera only focus when i manually press the arrow keys? I like to perform a lot of Zooming in and out and it is very hard to focus as i zoom. If this is true Auto Focus like on my Sony FX-7 camera or at least close to that functionality then this is killer. This is the only hard part about used my Canon 60D in video mode. Then I dont need to convert my Mpeg2 HDV files into MOV files in order to import them into my ipad.. I have the ipad3 and I use Avid Studio for the ipad. This is a great app but need a few feature updates. I can import my Canon 60D footage direct throught the Camera connection kit and it suppisingly runs great. Very smooth play back of the video which is saying something for a consumer product running on battery power. The touch screen of the iPad make editing so much easier than using a PC.

John Gerard
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi John,

When attending the Historics, make sure to go to the Cobra corral before the parade laps and try to bum a ride. With camera in hand, you're likely to find a single driver who will gladly take a passenger.

Years ago, Lotus was the honored marque. I brought my '86 Turbo Esprit. Normally, when driving the track, you need to have a helmet, have your car tech'd, can't take passengers aside from instructors, etc. For the parade laps, those rules are waived. We did four laps. And rather than tool around, everybody bunches up around before the back half of the track, let's some space develop, and then pushes it a bit. That first time down the (blind) corkscrew is unforgettable!

Besides the fun ride, the point of view footage in a parade of Cobras should be golden. :)
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Re: Problm installing magic lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gerard View Post
Hi,
i have a question about the new Follow Focus feature in ML. Is this actual full Ato Focusing in video mode or does the camera only focus when i manually press the arrow keys?
John Gerard
It won't have auto focus, you'll have to work it manually. That's the big trade-off with DSLR vs Camcorder for video.

I suggest using the focus peaking function. It's basically a color overlay that helps you see what's in focus.
It seems complicated when you're trying to figure it out reading the instructions but once you turn it on and play with it a bit it becomes much more intuitive.

You're going to want to practice as much as you can with DSLR video by shooting and reviewing your results so that you're not trying to figure it out when things are happening or you'll blow it.
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #25
Major Player

Ya, it looks like it might be at least a little easier to focus than with the standard firmware installed. I think the newest Canon camera the ti4 I think it is has autofocus. But it is also a mirror less camera.
Can't wait untill the latest update become offcal.

John Gerard
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi, I know that magic Lanterns official release is Aug 13. But I would like to have a few extra days to try out. What is your guys option on how close to a release version Magic lantern 2.3 for the Canon 60d is and what would your advice. Downloading now or waiting 3 more days.

Thanks,
John Gerard
Old August 10th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #27
Major Player

I have just bought a T3i and the second thing I did after checking out the camera was to load ML works wit no problem for me and may others. Besides if you dont like it just format the card and it returns to normal as ML is card driven so to speak.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks, sounds good. In the past there was so much emphasis around that if you did not install something right or a crash happened then you could destroy your camera. Sounds like ML has come a long way since then.
I will give it a try.

John Gerard
Old August 11th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #29
Major Player

Hi all,
I just wanted to say yah and thanks to all that helped me. I got Magic Lantern installed for the first time. I had to first install the latest Canon firmware up date for my Canon 60D. From 1.1.0 to 1.1.1. After that I re low level formatted my SD card and copied the ML files to my SD card put my camera in M mode first. Went to the menu item firmware xxx.xx.xx pressed ok updated firmware which only took a few seconds and it was done. I have the 45Mb Sandisk SD card 6 16GB cards in all. I see that Sandisk even makes up to a 90Mb card. I am not sure what camera that one would be used for.
Anyway now to learning all the great features an updating my other SD cards.
Oh, the video was a big help and I recommend watching it a few time for anyone that has not performed this procedure before. Even thought the procedure is pretty straight forward it helps to make sure one does not miss a step and performs all steps in the correct order. One step I would have missed was to set my camera in M mode.
one other question that might have been answered before, when the final release comes out what is the procedure to update the filed. Should I...
1) format my Sd card then copy the new files to the card or
2) should I just copy the files over the top of the files already in my SD card?

John Gerard
Old August 11th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #30
Major Player

Hi guys again,
Now since I got ML installed. I am looking for the adapter cable for the 60D to monitor the Audio out from the camera. Can anyone direct me to where I can purchase or if one is not available a DIY instruction guide on how to build one. I have soldered a plug connection onto a pair of ear phones so I am not bad at that function.

Thanks,

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD