DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Memory Card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/500802-memory-card.html)

Tariq Peter September 17th, 2011 04:19 PM

Memory Card

How many hours of video can I record on a 32GB SDHC Card If I were to record full 1080p? I have been told that its around 90 Mins. For a 16 Hour shoot that is going to cost me around £350 - £400 OMG is that right?

Keith Betters September 17th, 2011 10:00 PM

Re: Memory Card

Yes, a 32GB will hold about 80-90 minutes of footage. Just take a laptop with you and you can off load the cards after their full. In reality you will need at least 2 cards. So you can be filming while you off load the other. That's ideal but it all depends on your situation. You might need at least 4-5 cards to get through each day and off load at night. Or you can buy a standalone harddrive that reads memory cards, but I think laptops do the job just fine!

Nigel Barker September 18th, 2011 02:52 AM

For all the Canon DSLRs 3 minutes of video equals approximately a 1GB file.

The advantage of a Nexto DI or HyperDrive Colorspace standalone unit is that unlike a laptop they fit in your pocket.

I wouldn't worry too much about unloading cards on the day. Just keep them safe until you get home. Don't re-use them until you have at least two copies on separate disk drives.

You really shouldn't be shooting continuously with a DSLR like you do with a camcorder. The 12 minute file limit will prevent that for a start but the whole style of shooting is different with many short clips being the norm. For a 12 hour long wedding day shoot I will rarely end up with more than 3 hours of footage with my Canon DSLRs.

Taky Cheung September 18th, 2011 11:05 PM

I have 16 of Sandisk 16GB SD cards. Each one holds about 45 minutes.

With tapes, I usually let it record.. now with memory card, I only record when it is needed. Last weekend 8 hour wedding, I recorded 11 SD cards.

Kin Lau September 19th, 2011 02:02 PM

Using a downloader is much more convenient and sometimes the only option especially if your operating in conditions and areas where plug-in power or space is limited. My HyperDrive Colorspace can download at about 30MB/s and will download about 250gigs on one charge. You can't always stop to setup a laptop, and you sure don't want to downloading to a laptop while on the run.

Tariq Peter September 20th, 2011 09:54 AM

Has anybody tried the 7day shop 32GB - Class 10 memory cards? The price seems to good to be true.

Taky Cheung September 20th, 2011 09:56 AM

If it's too good to be true, it probably is =)

I won't be using ADATA or Transcend for my vacation photos and videos. For professional work, and wedding work, I can't take the chance of coming home with some corrupted footage files :)

Tariq Peter September 20th, 2011 10:26 AM

I have seen bad reviews for all memory cards even the Sandisk, I did not think that it would be that big of an issue but finding a low cost Class10 card seems to be harder than I thought. They should sell a pack of 5 and reduce the cost.

Nigel Barker September 20th, 2011 11:25 AM

I have been very happy with Transcend Compact Flash cards for my 5DII (both 133X &400X) & have been equally happy with Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC for my 600D at just £33.82 from Amazon

Tariq Peter September 20th, 2011 11:39 AM

£169 for 5 Transcend - Flash memory card - 32 GB - Class 10 - SDHC "Ouch"

Nigel Barker September 20th, 2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tariq Peter (Post 1683441)
£169 for 5 Transcend - Flash memory card - 32 GB - Class 10 - SDHC "Ouch"

They are a less than half the price of similar cards from SanDisk & are a bargain at that price. They are decent quality from a good manufacturer & you will not find better at the price. You would be mad to buy cheaper cards from unknown brands when filming weddings professionally.

Pat Flores October 1st, 2011 10:09 PM

Has anyone experienced a transcend card that works on one camera but not the other?

I had a 32gb work on a t2i and a t3i but for some reason didnt work on my 60D...

since we are in the subject of memory cards...i didnt want to set up a new thread...

Charles Newcomb October 2nd, 2011 01:24 PM

I always reformat the card each time I insert it, not just when I change cameras, and I think that's kept me from having any problems... that, and using only Hoodman cards.

Konrad Haskins October 2nd, 2011 10:16 PM

I've had problems with a 32GB Transcend card. It's being replaced by Transcend right now. There is lots of negative feedback for them on Amazon.

Pat Flores October 3rd, 2011 12:54 AM

Yeah I am not sold on Transcends yet...PNY is only good up to 16Gb...so for my 32Gb purchase I am just going to shell out the money for the 45mb/s Sandisk....