Memory Card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 17th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Memory Card

How many hours of video can I record on a 32GB SDHC Card If I were to record full 1080p? I have been told that its around 90 Mins. For a 16 Hour shoot that is going to cost me around £350 - £400 OMG is that right?
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Memory Card

Yes, a 32GB will hold about 80-90 minutes of footage. Just take a laptop with you and you can off load the cards after their full. In reality you will need at least 2 cards. So you can be filming while you off load the other. That's ideal but it all depends on your situation. You might need at least 4-5 cards to get through each day and off load at night. Or you can buy a standalone harddrive that reads memory cards, but I think laptops do the job just fine!
Keith Betters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

For all the Canon DSLRs 3 minutes of video equals approximately a 1GB file.

The advantage of a Nexto DI or HyperDrive Colorspace standalone unit is that unlike a laptop they fit in your pocket.

I wouldn't worry too much about unloading cards on the day. Just keep them safe until you get home. Don't re-use them until you have at least two copies on separate disk drives.

You really shouldn't be shooting continuously with a DSLR like you do with a camcorder. The 12 minute file limit will prevent that for a start but the whole style of shooting is different with many short clips being the norm. For a 12 hour long wedding day shoot I will rarely end up with more than 3 hours of footage with my Canon DSLRs.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have 16 of Sandisk 16GB SD cards. Each one holds about 45 minutes.

With tapes, I usually let it record.. now with memory card, I only record when it is needed. Last weekend 8 hour wedding, I recorded 11 SD cards.
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Using a downloader is much more convenient and sometimes the only option especially if your operating in conditions and areas where plug-in power or space is limited. My HyperDrive Colorspace can download at about 30MB/s and will download about 250gigs on one charge. You can't always stop to setup a laptop, and you sure don't want to downloading to a laptop while on the run.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Has anybody tried the 7day shop 32GB - Class 10 memory cards? The price seems to good to be true.
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If it's too good to be true, it probably is =)

I won't be using ADATA or Transcend for my vacation photos and videos. For professional work, and wedding work, I can't take the chance of coming home with some corrupted footage files :)
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Major Player

I have seen bad reviews for all memory cards even the Sandisk, I did not think that it would be that big of an issue but finding a low cost Class10 card seems to be harder than I thought. They should sell a pack of 5 and reduce the cost.
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I have been very happy with Transcend Compact Flash cards for my 5DII (both 133X &400X) & have been equally happy with Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC for my 600D at just £33.82 from Amazon

Old September 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #10
Major Player

£169 for 5 Transcend - Flash memory card - 32 GB - Class 10 - SDHC "Ouch"
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
£169 for 5 Transcend - Flash memory card - 32 GB - Class 10 - SDHC "Ouch"
They are a less than half the price of similar cards from SanDisk & are a bargain at that price. They are decent quality from a good manufacturer & you will not find better at the price. You would be mad to buy cheaper cards from unknown brands when filming weddings professionally.
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Has anyone experienced a transcend card that works on one camera but not the other?

I had a 32gb work on a t2i and a t3i but for some reason didnt work on my 60D...

since we are in the subject of memory cards...i didnt want to set up a new thread...
Pat Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #13
Major Player

I always reformat the card each time I insert it, not just when I change cameras, and I think that's kept me from having any problems... that, and using only Hoodman cards.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:16 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I've had problems with a 32GB Transcend card. It's being replaced by Transcend right now. There is lots of negative feedback for them on Amazon.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:54 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Yeah I am not sold on Transcends yet...PNY is only good up to 16Gb...so for my 32Gb purchase I am just going to shell out the money for the 45mb/s Sandisk....
Pat Flores is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD