Grabbing Stills While in Video Mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 6th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Grabbing Stills While in Video Mode

So I may be extremely late on this one. If I am, I'm sorry but I thought it was sooo neat to find this out this evening.

So I wanted to take a still picture of the front of our house where my daughter and I decorated this evening for Halloween. I was using my 60D in still mode with a 50mm 1.8 and was hoping I'd be able to stay still enough to get a nice clean picture of the lit-up decorations. As expected, shutter was open too long and my slight movements produced a blurry pic (Pic 1). So I put it in video mode to shoot a little video of it when I decided to grab a still while in video mode. EUREKA! (Pic 2) I got my shot and it was nice and clean; it literally IS a still off the video. All this time I thought it would revert back to still mode to grab the shot.

So my mind went running through the possibilities: wide shots of a low-lit wedding dance or reception, extremely dark areas with specific lit-up areas--wedding cake, water fountain. Obviously there's no doing without a Speedlight in a lot of situations, but this is a nice solution for certain instances.
Attached Thumbnails
Grabbing Stills While in Video Mode-img_9816.jpg   Grabbing Stills While in Video Mode-img_9810.jpg  

Old October 7th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Grabbing Stills While in Video Mode

If you set the shutter speed etc to the same as that of the video you would have got the same result, in the larger format to boot. You might even find that a slightly slower shutter speed than video mode can manage (but faster than the one whatever automatic mode you were using has chosen here) is ok to deal with hand held.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Just remember that there will be a 1 sec gap in your video if you do this.

The same can also be done in LiveView, which is what you wanted to begin with.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I think he meant he grabbed the still shot AFTER....

there are programs that can break down a shot into frames...

its like shooting 24fps but the downfall is shooting only at 2mp instead of the full 18...
Pat Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Well, the same applies surely? I might have sounded a bit curt and dismissive and that wasn't the idea, but there's no exposure or stability magic to video mode. If video mode can do it for a still, stills mode can certainly do it too.
The former of those shots is notably brighter than the latter. I would suggest shutter speed is where the difference is.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD