'Twincredibles' on BBC 2 now, shot with DSLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 10th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Major Player

'Twincredibles' on BBC 2 now, shot with DSLR

There is a show on BBC 2 (UK) just now called 'twincredibles' that looks like it was shot with DSLRs
(not sure if all of it, but the bits I'm watching just now I'd put money on it)

Interesting to see how much of was and why
(I'm guessing the reason in part was to get close up footage of the young babies?)

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Tourist

Re: 'Twincredibles' on BBC 2 now, shot with DSLR

Yes, according to the assistant producer 'a lot of it' was shot on the 5D. I think the reason is for intimacy and to get participants to behave naturally - a DSLR is a lot less obtrusive than a big video camera. Also they did use incredibly shallow depth of field in parts.

It's well worth seeing - one of the most well-crafted and charming documentaries I've seen for a while. Viewers in the UK can catch it on the BBC iPlayer: bbc.in/r98vzk
Tom Barrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barrance View Post
Yes, according to the assistant producer 'a lot of it' was shot on the 5D. I think the reason is for intimacy and to get participants to behave naturally - a DSLR is a lot less obtrusive than a big video camera. Also they did use incredibly shallow depth of field in parts.

It's well worth seeing - one of the most well-crafted and charming documentaries I've seen for a while. Viewers in the UK can catch it on the BBC iPlayer: bbc.in/r98vzk
There is a ton of stuff on the BBC shot with DSLRs. The only stipulation for producers is that HD material is not admissable due to aliasing issues.

Doesn't stop DSLR aliasing making it into SD broadcasts though, so where's the sense in that?
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Donnelly View Post
There is a ton of stuff on the BBC shot with DSLRs. The only stipulation for producers is that HD material is not admissable due to aliasing issues.

Doesn't stop DSLR aliasing making it into SD broadcasts though, so where's the sense in that?
The BBC has a self-imposed brief to maintain technical quality standards on their HD production. Although they haven't abandoned normal quality standards on SD, the impact of squeezed bitrates is sometimes weighed against sub-standard source material when considering low-budget commissions. It all depends on how defects in the source material are likely to survive through the tortuous compression inherent in the transmission chain.
Even so, the BBC's output is usually far better than much of the dross that squats on some of the free to air channels in the UK.

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #5
Major Player

There was a major drama miniseries called 'The Silence' that was partially shot on 7D a couple of years ago (although, mostly on Red One).
Watching it I thought "Hey, I know that rolling shutter skew."
Murray Christian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD