2 different 32GB SanDisk Ultras (class 6) giving me trouble at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 5th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2 different 32GB SanDisk Ultras (class 6) giving me trouble

My camera is a 60D. The first SDHC card I got was a 16GB Delkin Class 6 with which I've never had an issue. I got a cheap 16GB PNY Class 10 and had a lot of recording problems so I got a 2nd Delkin and have had no problem with that one.

Then recently I got 2 32GB SanDisk Ultras which are class 6. I formatted the cards in camera after I purchased them and I get around 2 "automatically stopped recording" errors per use.

One thing of note is that I usually run each of my recordings pretty close to the 4GB limit, but never all the way. The errors come randomly during the recording and I also get the buffer meter about 10 times per card.

I have trouble believing that both cards are defective but I also want to trust SanDisk. It just seems odd to me that I'm the only one having more luck with Delkin than SanDisk.
David Ells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 2 different 32GB SanDisk Ultras (class 6) giving me trouble

Where did you get the SanDisk cards?
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Best Buy in Cambridge, MA
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Trustee

Send them to SanDisk with a full explanation of the problems you are having. Be sure and send a copy of your sales receipt as "proof of purchase".
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I just got SanDisk on the phone and received some helpful suggestions on what I can try to fix the problem.

I may have file corruption issues on the cards and I can fix them by formatting them after each use. File corruption issues often occur when the camera shuts off from a depleted battery so I should avoid operating it on a low battery.

And yes, they said if the problem persists I can send the cards in for replacement.

I definitely recommend calling them, they have very good customer support.
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ells View Post
I may have file corruption issues on the cards and I can fix them by formatting them after each use. File corruption issues often occur when the camera shuts off from a depleted battery so I should avoid operating it on a low battery.
Formatting media cards IN THE CAMERA before re-use should be done as a matter of course. Failure to do this and continued use of the card without reformatting in camera can eventually cause problems even with SanDisk media.

I've read of cases where someone bought a new SanDisk card, put it in the camera and started using it, each time either deleting individual files or deleting files as a group. The cards did OK for awhile but eventually got corrupted.

The "bargain" brands usually "give up" a lot sooner than SanDisk.

If you haven't noticed the camera shutting down on you from a depleted battery, this is likely not your problem. If you haven't been "religiously" reformatting before each "project" or "shoot", THAT could be the trouble.
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just reformatted one of them and did a test. About halfway through, the card gave the error twice in a row. I plan to return at least this card. I'll test the other one tomorrow.
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I've just recently joined the DSLR party (T3i) - and I've been using 3 different brands of cards (on purpose) all Class 10 mind you, with no issues to date.

I formatted each card on the camera before use, and I have installed ML on 2 of the 3 cards. I am using:

SanDisk Extreme HD Video 16GB - No ML Installed

Dane-Elec Proline 16GB - ML Installed

PNY Professional 8GB - ML Installed

Haven't missed a beat yet, and I've been using the heck out of 'em. I've seen several articles around the web about Class 6 cards, should I simply avoid these altogether, despite the sale prices everyone seems to have on them right now?

Thanks!
Reuben Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Trustee

Genuine (non counterfeit) SanDisk Class (6) should work just fine in the T3i. I have a few "left over" from a T1i that worked without problem in the T2i and now still work flawlessly in my T3i and 60D. SanDisk is the most counterfeited brand on the market which should tell you something.

Dane-Elec along with A-Data used to "enjoy" the greatest media failure rate of any problem reports I've read, followed closely by Patriot. It's possible they may have improved with the "ProLine", but I'll stick with SanDisk myself.

I have had good luck with PNY Class (4) in my HF100s but started buying nothing but SanDisk for use with DSLRs since the only problem reports I've seen with that brand generally turn out to be counterfeit (customer sends media to SanDisk for warranty replacement, SanDisk responds "Not ours") or failure to format before use on a new project.

Right now I have a mixture of 20MB/s Class (6), 30MB/s Class (60 { I think these were what evolved into 30MB/s Class (10) }, 30MB/s Class 10, and 45MB/s { Extreme Pro UHS steel clad but just discontinued }; all SanDisk and all work without a hitch in both T3i and 60D.

Canon techs have told some DSLR owners over the phone that the cameras can be "brand picky", when the owners switched to SanDisk as recommended problems "went away".
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for your feedback Bruce.
Reuben Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Yes, Bruce. Thanks for the feedback. I am left with the only possibilities being that I was sold 2 defective cards, as slim as the odds may be on this possibility, or that the Best Buy I went to is selling knock-offs of SanDisk products. Both of these possibilities are troubling.

I will update you guys on how my return goes once I find out.
Old November 11th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I feel like my knowledge of SD cards is in constant flux based on new (mis)information hitting me every few months or so. I never really know who to trust.

So I just called Canon tech support to have them answer a few questions for me about SD cards. (I just shipped the cards back to SanDisk, by the way, and they'll be sending me new ones, but I wanted to talk to Canon too.)

The rep said that whether it's SanDisk, PNY, Delkin, etc. if they don't advertise 35-40 MB/s or higher then it's going to be an unreliable card. He said to disregard the class of the card altogether, whether it's 4, 6 or 10 because class claims are baseless. 35-40MB/s seems overkill to me since my Delkins are 22MB/s.

He just kept saying, "You want 200x cards. But you don't need anything higher than that." (200x is equivalent to 35-40MB/s according to him)

Do you think he's still right and I've just been lucky so far with Delkin?
Old November 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Trustee

You have so many "me too" bargain brands to wade through what he says is partially true. That may be why SanDisk has now dropped the "class" rating from the imprinting on their media, their latest SDHC offering now bears the "95MB/s" rating. The last couple I ordered from B&H (and now discontinued) were marked "45MB/s". CF format Extreme Pro are marked 90MB/s.

I just got in a couple of $26.49 SanDisk Class (10) 30MB/s 16GB SDHC cards that work fine but I look for those to be discontinued soon.

Not all brands meet specs. So I don't take chances on "bargain" brands.

It will be interesting to see what SanDisk says about the ones you return. It could be that some counterfeit cards are beginning to find their way into the "big box" store retail chain.
Old November 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #14
Major Player

The Canon rep is talking rubbish. 200x SDHC cards provide speeds up to 30mbs. Its always tricky picking a card that works for you. You will find one person swears by card X and another card Z. The only way is to find a brand that you have found consistant, and are confident in its reliability, and stick with it. I have personally used Transcend 16gb, class 6 and 10 for over 18 months in my EX1, and nearly a year in my 550D and TM900. None of my cards has ever missed a beat. I obviously see no reason to change brand. Others will use a completely different card, and thats what works for them. Every new card should be recorded to full, then played back a couple of times before being used for any paid for, or important personal footage. All cards can, and probably will fail at some point. When that happens there is nothing we can do about it. Sandisc cards should be fine, I hope your problem is resolved quickly.

Last edited by Colin Rowe; November 12th, 2011 at 03:43 PM.
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #15
Regular Crew

SanDisk sent me replacements for my Ultra class 6's. Unfortunately they were not the same cards I sent in. They were Class 4's with 15MB/s data rate. So I'm RMA'ing them again and in the meantime I've just went ahead and bought 2 new SanDisk Extremes with 30MB/s upon which I will do extensive testing before the return period ends.

Good grief.
David Ells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD