New Viewfinder for T2i - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: New Viewfinder for T2i

anyone tried this?

Camcorder Mounting Strap-Hoodman Corporation

should work on the flipout LCD's
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #17
Major Player

I have it on my 60D. Works great when the scren is swung out, but you should be aware of the extra weight when it is attached. I like to use it with the hoodman CineCrane when the screen is folded in. That way works awesome on my 5D as well.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #18
Major Player

I have seen something similar to this but worried that applying to much pressure on the viewfinder may break it as you want to press it as tight as possible.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #19
Major Player

I have a events booked this year and really want to spend wisley.

The Zacuto EVF looks great it really does but £650 is it really worth it?

The biggest issue I had on my last shoots was the focusing using the t3i, like most people I had no idea if what I was shooting was 100% in focus or not. After using the forum the world of viewfinders opened up to me but each one had an issue with the t3i articulating screen. I came across this video yesterday from JJ and I think that setup just works perfectly. Zacuto EVF Gorilla Plate Bracket + Pincher Review - YouTube
The cost of such a setup is around this much plus the Pincher!
Z-Finder EVF Pro £654.02
Zacuto EVF Gorilla Plate Bracket - Z-EGPB (ZEGPB) £160.42
Zacuto Gorilla Baseplate £48.65

any other options means I loose the flip screen.

Does anybody have any experience with the EVF finder and would you say it's a sound investment?
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #20
Major Player

I would spend on an external monitor before getting a Z-Finder. Zacuto is top notch, including service and of course offers a world-class lifetime warranty. But I think you have to consider what you need and the options that are available.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #21
Major Player

The most imporatnt feature to me is peakinghttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/730644-REG/Marshall_Electronics_V_LCD50_HDMI_5_On_Camera_Monitor.html this looks great but I cant find any examples of it in use. I
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I really don't think that it's justified to spend more on the Zacuto EVF than the camera costs. The resolution isn't HD as it's only 800x480 which is barely more than the LCD Monitor & as soon as you hit record the 600D's HDMI output drops to SD anyway. In my experience peaking & zebras that are generated in the monitor are nowhere near as good as when they are actually generated within a properly designed camcorder. My advice to improve your focusing would be to use Quick AF before you hit the record button & then use a loupe & practice, practice, practice.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
any other options means I loose the flip screen.
Don't get too hung up on this. The articulated screen is a 'nice to have' but not essential & is only really useful when you can't easily get your eye to the camera e.g. you are holding it above your head or it's down on the floor. I can live without the articulated screen if it means that I can use a good loupe.
Old January 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #24
Major Player

Depends on whether you ever need to shoot away from your head. 90% of the time I shoot with the loupe. But for the other 10% I'm thankful I have an articulated screen as I can get shots that are simply impossible without it.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #25
Major Player

May I ask which loupe you have and does your screen close if it has a frame attached to it?
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Don't get too hung up on this. The articulated screen is a 'nice to have' but not essential & is only really useful when you can't easily get your eye to the camera e.g. you are holding it above your head or it's down on the floor. I can live without the articulated screen if it means that I can use a good loupe.
The reason I love it so much is because when I use the slider for a lot of low angle shots I can just flip it. I guess thats the only real advantage possible If I were to get a merlin I could also flip it and use it then.

It may be that I just buy a sticky frame and never close the t3i screen again.
Old January 14th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
Depends on whether you ever need to shoot away from your head. 90% of the time I shoot with the loupe. But for the other 10% I'm thankful I have an articulated screen as I can get shots that are simply impossible without it.
Only the 60D & 600D/T3i of the Canon DSLRs have an articulated screen so there are plenty of people shooting good video on 5DIIs, 7Ds or 550D/T2is.
Old January 14th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
May I ask which loupe you have and does your screen close if it has a frame attached to it?
I have the luxury of shooting most of the time with a 5DII. However on my 600D I use the swing-out screen without a loupe for framing the shot but if I use a loupe I have stuck the frame from a GGS onto the metal frame of a loupe that fixes with the tripod screw. I know that I cannot use the battery grip but these cameras are all about compromise. I wouldn't stick a frame onto my 600D & give up the articulated screen but then as I said I have the luxury of shooting mostly with a a 5DII.
Old January 14th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #29
Major Player

I found this which may help

I have had 2 people call me in the past week asking if I use the 5DMKII...I say no the t3i and off they go. The 5DMKII is driving me crazy hurry up 5DMKIII! I seriously don't think the 5DMKII is worth nearly 3 times the price of the t3i but it's starting to loose me business.
Old January 14th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
I have had 2 people call me in the past week asking if I use the 5DMKII...I say no the t3i and off they go. The 5DMKII is driving me crazy hurry up 5DMKIII! I seriously don't think the 5DMKII is worth nearly 3 times the price of the t3i but it's starting to loose me business.
I have never had to decide whether the 5DII is worth 3X the price as three years ago I bought a 5DII because that was then the only Canon DSLRs with video & the first videos that I saw online were just amazing (they still are & here they are Paris and San Franciso videos by night - Chris MacAskill's Photos | SmugMug). The 5DII has at least two big advantages over the 600D. It has much better low light performance & better choice of wide angle lenses. The 5DII is so clean & noise free even at ISO 3200 that I often run with that & just adjust the aperture for exposure or use ISO3200 so that I can stop down when I don't want an ultra-shallow DoF. I also shoot a lot with the 16-35mm F/2.8L at 16mm. I am awfully glad that I do have a 5DII but the 600D is a great value backup camera even if it lacks the low light performance & doesn't have the same rugged build quality.

Only you can know whether it is worth you purchasing a 5DII but in the meantime when asked if you use a 5DII why not say 'Yes' & then hire one if you get the gig?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD