New lens for NightLife Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: New lens for NightLife Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Friedman View Post
I have the Canon 50mm f/1.8 and the first thing I loved about my Sigma was the substantial size and focusing ring...
Compared to the EF 50/1.8, most every lens feels like it has a substantial focus ring. :)
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Guys,

If I am shooting in low light and want to keep everything in focus what aperture setting should I use?
I am currently testing with my Tamron 17-50 at ISO 400/F8 and can't see a thing. I am looking to do something like this when I shoot outdoors. I am guessing my new Samyang 35mm 1.4 will do the trick at f8?

FREE TUTORIAL :: WedFilm Academy :: Rapid Shooting (wedding video training) - YouTube
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Tariq, it's very difficult to shoot in low light and have everything in focus, because as you lower your f number (open the aperture) your depth of field will get shallower and shallower. F8 is going to let the same amount of light in on any lens.

We pay thousands of dollars sometimes to get a really low aperture (like f1.2), but shooting at 1.2 will only leave a small part of the image in focus.

You can compensate various ways, but each has their own drawback. Boosting the ISO will allow you to close down the aperture some and keep more in focus, but your image will get noisier and noisier the higher your ISO. You can lower your shutter speed, but the motion in your image will get more blurry and less filmic. And of course, you can add lights to your scene, but then you're not really shooting in low-light anymore are you!
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #19
Major Player

But in the clip above he sets his camera to f8 and yet all seems to be in focus with such low light.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #20
Major Player

Its not low light. They are using off camera lighting

Last edited by Colin Rowe; January 6th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #21
Regular Crew

The one lens that also needs to be mentioned in this thread is the Canon Ef 35 2.0

SLR Lenses

I think it's very versatile and a good deal.
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #22
Inner Circle

The Canon EF 35/2 has very nice glass for the price. The body is the weak point. It's an older pre-USM design. It's more like the 50/1.8 than the 50/1.4 in that regard. If you don't mind the poor feeling focus ring, it's a worthy lens.

Personally, I owned the 35/2 for a few months and found that I always grabbed the 28/1.8 or the 50/1.4 simply due to the better feel. Looking back, I should have given it more attention. I'm learning that I really like the 35mm view on a full frame camera.
Old January 14th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I just used my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 in a nightclub last weekend. Here's a link:

I collected a lot of footage and was able to get some really good clean shots with fairly low noise. The majority of the evening I left the lens wide open at 1.4 used my 160LED light only in the darkest areas. Shot mostly at ISO 800 as well.
John Friedman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD