Monitor HDMI switching shuts off record? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 14th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Monitor HDMI switching shuts off record?

Does anyone know if there is a menu setting which would disable my 7D from interrupting a record session because the HDMI input on a monitor was switched to another input? I'm using the 7D with another camera (Sony EX) and have both going into a monitor which has both HDMI and component inputs. If I switch the input from HDMI (the 7D) to component (the EX) no problem. But if I switch back to HDMI, the 7D stops recording.
Is there any way to avert this? I'd like to be able to switch back and forth without having to restart the recording every time. Before anyone asks, there is nothing in the monitor menu so there's no hope there.
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Monitor HDMI switching shuts off record?

My guess is that there is no easy workaround. The monitor is likely sending new metadata, and the 7D sees this as connecting to a new monitor. That probably generates a hardware interrupt in the software. When that happens, the camera assumes that there was a major change, so all bets are off and the recording stops.

You *might* be able to get around this if you insert an active HDMI distribution amp. That said, I believe that the DA will still send the new metadata, and the recording will still stop.
Old December 15th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks, Jon
I wondered if that wasn't what was going on.... looks like a dedicated monitor for each camera is going to be the solution.
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Major Player

When you switch sources on monitor from one input to another the HDCP (Copy protection) key is released which causes the 7D to switch modes, which in turn stops the recording.
HDCP is a part of the HDMI format and cannot usually be bypassed so the 1 monitor per cam is your only solution, unless you have a device that stores the HDCP key and does the switching for you (expensive).

HDCP is making the whole world of commercial AV a nightmare these days.

Hope this answers your question.

GG
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I don't know that DSLRs implement HDCP. There are additional licensing costs to do that, and the camera has no need to implement copy protection.

My guess is that it has to do with the handshake between source and sink as required by CEA-861 for implementing the EDID information. The two devices have to negotiate to determine what resolution and bit depth will be delivered. When the 7D connects to what it sees as a new sink device, it could assume that it needs to change the output format. At that point, it's "game over."

CEA: CEA Standards - Standards Listings by Committee

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD