TimeLapse at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 20th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Major Player

TimeLapse

Hi Guys,

I looking into purchasing my first Timer Remote so I can create a 5-10 second piece of footage of clouds going over a house from night till day. I am planning to camp out with my Tamron 17-50 and 600D and some hot coffee! Does anybody own this remote

if not any reason it can't do what I need it to.

Thanks
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: TimeLapse

I haven't used that brand. I've had success with an Aputure timer for the 5D2.

Some tips:
* An AC adapter would make sense for this shot. You don't want to be replacing batteries.
* A BIG memory card is a must.
* You can shoot HDR (three exposures) to capture night, twilight, and day. Yet more memory required!
* For an all day shoot, you will want a VERY long interval to keep the memory requirements reasonable. This might allow you to shoot RAW. I've read that small RAW is not good. If RAW is too big, go for JPEG.
* If you want smooth motion, you will want a ND filter, probably a 1.8 (4 stops) or more.
* Stop down for deep focus and a long shutter speed.
* For small aperture shots, the camera will open and close the iris for each shot. Every time it closes, it will be slightly different. That causes flicker. To solve it, set your aperture (to, say, f/16), press the DOF button, and untwist the lens.

Best of luck!
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Also, if you want the proper exposure from day to night, you either use av with some possible flicker, or run bulb exposure with this guy:
How To Order
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

That looks exactly like one of the cheap timers that I have. They work great. Here is a link to the very first timelapse that I created using my 5DII including a technical description of how I did it

I have come to realise that for simple timelapse of clouds it's much easier just to shoot a few minutes of video & speed it up in post than to deal with hundreds of still images.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've had that one from Amazon. It worked absolutely fine and was very easy to use. I use the past tense because the batteries leaked and killed it. I still plan to buy another - I'll just take the batteries out while not in use.

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Try the Magic lantern hack. I am sure you will be impressed with it.
And best of all it's free. check out some of the youtubes

magic lantern time lapse - YouTube
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #7
Major Player

The RS-60E3 is just a remote shutter control, without any timer functions. If you can tether to a laptop, you can use the Canon Utility software that came with the camera and connect the camera to the laptop via a long USB cable and setup the timer functions in the software program, in which case you won't need to buy a hardware timer.

I don't know if there is an equivalent to the TC-80N3 Remote Timer Control for the 60D. The TC-80N3 won't work with the 60D due to the type of connector it uses. It works great on the 7D. Someone came up with the instructions on how to modify this timer so it will work with the 60D.
http://www.camerahacker.com/Canon_Ac...E3_Convert.php

Mark

Last edited by Mark Watson; December 26th, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
The RS-60E3 is just a remote shutter control, without any timer functions. If you can tether to a laptop, you can use the Canon Utility software that came with the camera and connect the camera to the laptop via a long USB cable and setup the timer functions in the software program, in which case you won't need to buy a hardware timer.

I don't know if there is an equivalent to the TC-80N3 Remote Timer Control for the 60D. The TC-80N3 won't work with the 60D due to the type of connector it uses. It works great on the 7D. Someone came up with the instructions on how to modify this timer so it will work with the 60D.
Camera Hacker: Converting N3 Accessories to E3

Mark
While the Canon RS-60E3 is indeed only a remote control device the one that Tariq linked to is a timer for the 600D (amongst other cameras). If you look at the item description & read the feedback it is clear that it does work as an interval timer.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #9
Major Player

I stand corrected...
I Googled the model number and got the authentic Canon version, which didn't have a timer function.
Apparently Neewer makes this timer that Tariq is looking at and they give their product the same model number as the original manufacturer' items; same as with the Sony RM-S1AM Timer.
According to a video on fstoppers.com, they also produce some totally fake products like the Nikon battery grip discussed in this link.

Fake Nikon Gear Alert! D7000 MB-D11 Knockoff | Fstoppers

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #10
Major Player

Do you sometimes wonder if the original poster ever reply s to his post.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #11
Major Player

Magic Lantern is very handy.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks guys. I have ordered it from Amazon and looking forward to using it and sharing my results with you all over the next few weeks.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Major Player

I played with the Magic Lantern timelapse feature this weekend. It is a very handy addition to my T2i. It's not as simple to use as a timelapse controller, but does a bang up job of controlling the camera. One caveat... don't try to use it on New Years' Eve when you're around those who have had a few to drink. They tend to ask too many questions, get grabby with the gear, or stick their faces in front of the lens to "get their picture took".

Other than that, it's a neat "free" add on!
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Major Player

What are the pros and cons of Magic Lantern? I am so scared about installing it since my t3i is only 6 months old.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:04 PM   #15
Major Player

Are there negatives? I've only seen positives: easy timelapse, continuous recording, audio levels, focus aids while filming, faster 3X button assign, white balance by KELVIN...

So much easier to change white balance!!

Also: all you need to do is get macboot and spend 10 minutes configuring all your SD cards the same way and then all your cards are ready to go. Unlike things I had heard in the past, you can format your cards without losing magic bullet every time. (Before format, Magic Bullet puts the files in the camera's memory and then re-transfers to your SD card, so it's always there. Your formatted card even remembers your menu settings. And you simply transfer those same Magic Lantern files to your other cards to have identical settings. Easy cakes!)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD