Any true advantages to a 60D over 7D? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 8th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Any true advantages to a 60D over 7D?

60D for swivel LCD on that fact alone. laying on the ground to do a slider shot kind of sucks with the 7D.
magic lantern is a huge bonus to adjust and see audio levels. big plus there! If you're not using it
for stills, than the 60D makes the most sense.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I'm with Scott. I've used a 10D for years with no complaints, but I'd come to love the flexibility an articulated screen brings to my video cameras and I was darn sure my next SLR would have the same feature. This limited the number of cameras on my shortlist but I'm glad I waited and didn't plump for the 50D, sorely tempted as I was.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Just put my mint spare (3rd) 60D for sale in the classifieds. I run 2 x 60Ds on most of my shoots now, never experienced the overheating that 7D owners talk about, manual audio adjustment, fab Magic Lantern integration and I've yet to use more than 2 batteries in an entire day - very efficient on power usage. The articulating screen means I can run an LCDVF clip-on viewfinder and it becomes a very effective documentary camera. Also allows me to use a Steadicam Merlin without the guessing.

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Interesting you mention the minimalist battery consumption of the 60D Ben. With my 10D I always used the Canon battery grip and just assumed I'd be needing the same for the 60D. It's nice to have the grip for portrait shots and it means you can attach a short strap between top of camera and bottom of grip, but apart from that it's not needed on the 60D. Maybe the camera simply wastes less power in heating than the 7D.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #20
Major Player

Bob, many of the issues raised are correct, some are conjecture.

I had a t2i, it overheated often. I now have a 7D. It never has overheated. I use it extensively. I think that it's the battery placement that changed between the two models. Also, because of that change, I can change batteries while the 7D is mounted on a tripod. I could not do that with the T2i. That meant something to me during high pressure shoots.

The 7D is much better built, and if you shoot outdoors in high humidity and rain, you should really consider the 7D and the high price Canon glass. Creates a highly water resistant camera. I love it.

The swivel monitor is not much of a problem, and I can always hook up an external LCD.

I have never had a problem with CF cards. I had numerous problems shooting with high quality SD cards.

It comes down to the type of shooting you are doing. Both cameras are good, I would say. Good luck!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD