7D Stutter issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:50 PM   #1
New Boot

7D Stutter issues

I cannot seem to get good looking video at 24 or 30 fps. Any panning at all creates stutter. I can even see this happening in the LCD. Moving up to 720/60 fps eliminates this issue.
My first thought was that my CF card was too slow but a quick Google search shows that my SanDisk Extreme 60 MB/S 32 Gig card should do just fine.

I've set up my 7D as shown here

Please help!
Stuart Meed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: 7D Stutter issues

Stuart,
What shutter speed are you using for your 24P and 30P footage? Double the frame rate is typical. I use 1/60th for 24P a lot to avoid flicker. If you are using much higher shutter rates you will get choppy motion on moves. It is easy to pan and tilt fast enough to cause issues. Does the video stutter on motion when you are not panning? You do have to make compromises for motion when using different frame rates.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #3
New Boot

I'm mostly using 30 but some 24. I know that these cameras misbehave a bit when panning but I see others with the same camera getting much better results and cannot understand why.

Yes, I'm using the 180 rule for shutter speed. I don't have any issues when I'm not panning.

I don't need perfect, fluid pans, I just want my video to be as good as the next guys!
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What is your panning rate? You should be panning so something does not cross completely though the frame any faster than 5-6 seconds.

Can you post an example showing your issue?
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #5
New Boot

Chris,

No faster than 5-6 seconds would probably eliminate my issue. I just sometime see really great footage and then see it was done with a 7D and think, "How did they do that?"

The footage appears 24-30 fps.
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Trustee

Hey Stuart, Sometimes the screen doesn't give you the true feeling of the shot. You should try some test pans at different rates and see what they look like on a different display. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #7
New Boot

Yeah, I need to play with it more and find it's limitations.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Stuart Meed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD