ND and Circular Polarizer Filter ! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 9th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ND and Circular Polarizer Filter !

Hey guys, am looking for both the ND and Circular polarizer filter for my next video shoot. It will be an outdoor shoot in bright sunlight so i wana have the shallow dof and keep shutter speed according to my frame rate and beside that its a bike ad so would be needing the circular polarizer to keep off most of the reflections from the bike.

So now i need to decide which exact filters do i need to buy. Cant afford a variable nd filter so have to get one of the solid ones. The big question is which one to get, an nd 1.2? or anything higher to keep my settings at est. f4-5, 1/50, iso 100-400 etc. Since i will be putting on the polarizer on top of it so that might be adding a stop or 2 as well.

Lenses are Rokinon 35 1.4 and Tokina 11-16 2.8 (@16mm mostly) on a crop sensor.
Budget is 150-180$.
Shahzad Mian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: ND and Circular Polarizer Filter !

Maybe consider renting? Its going to cost that much just for one filter. Otherwise you'll deal with color cast issues with the cheaper models. This is what we use,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752861-REG/B_W_1066147_77mm_103_Solid_Neutral.html
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

A good rule of thumb is that to shoot 1/50 and 100 ISO, you need up to f/22 or so in bright sunlight. To get down to f/4, you need up to five stops of light reduction.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Major Player

You can use a faster shutter speed to increase the size of your aperture. However, this can cause some strobing if you have a lot of motion in your frame.

You can also decrease your ISO, which will require more light and a larger aperature.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Would the two filters both be screw on? I'm just wondering about vignetting with two filters stacked with the wider lenses you've mentioned. The crop sensor helps of course, but if you tried to go to the wider end of the 11-16mm Tokina, then that will likely be obscured by the second filter.

You could start with a step up ring, and user larger filters I guess. How does a CPF work with a rectangular filter holder? I see that Hitech list them, but I am wondering how you would orientate a CPF for the right angle in a Hitech filter holder. Anyone got one?

I have a 100mm Hitech holder that I use with GNDs and an 8 stop ND, and the ND hhas zero colour cast. That's in contrast to a Fader ND I bought a few yers back, which is unusable at anything more than half way.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD