Magic Lantern, frame rate override at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Magic Lantern, frame rate override

Hey all. A friend of mine introduced me to a fellow "indie" film maker last night. He has the ti3. We were talking about cameras, and I asked if he had heard about Magic Lantern. He hadnt, so I was explaining a little about it. I myself don't know a whole lot about, but have been using it for timelapse and the HDR bracketing features, but that's about it so far.

When I took out my camera and started showing him the menus, I noticed the feature "Frame Rate Overide". And I started messing with it (adjusting the settings). I haven't filmed anything using it. But I wanted to ask if anyone has messed around with it much?

I'm curious if I was to film at 26 or 27 fps, I would still need to conform it to 24p in post? On my FS100 I like to use the S&Q mode, and film at 30p, and conform to 24p (this is done in camera). As long as I don't need audio from the shot, it slows,it down 6 frames a second. I like the idea of the Magoc Lantern frame rate override, because I'd use 26p or 27p a lot. It slows things down oh so slightly, giving a dreamy feel to certain sequences, but unless you know it's slowed, you can't really tell. It just creates a,cool feel to the footage while still seeming like its real time.

I'm going,to have to play with this feature. Just wanted to know of anyone else has already?

Happy filming!
Jeff
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Magic Lantern, frame rate override

26 and 27 shouldn't be a real problem. On the 60D you start having trouble around 32 at 1080. To some extent it's just the speed of your card that's the thing apparently, as the buffer fills up quicker. If there's any major delay in writing to the card, even if it'd be a normal fluctuation at standard speeds, recording will be stopped. But if there's a lot a lot of change in the image you also hit trouble as the processor can't keep up with the compression any more and the camera will crash. (this can vary a bit by fiddling with the compression rate)

So for safety it's best to film locked off shots of fairly consistent subjects if you're going to do this sort of thing.
Some guys have managed to crank 5DIIs up really high this way, but their CF cards are much faster and more reliable.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply. If I get some free time, I'll have to run some tests. I'll post me here if I do.
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #4
Major Player

There were some problems with it freezing with the audio on. If this happens switch audio off. Although I think it is set to audio off (default) with the latest ML.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD