New 7D Firmware vers_2 announced - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:27 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: New 7D Firmware vers_2 announced

I've got the VAF-5D2. It's a pain to remove/replace when going between stills and movies, but it looks really good. (It's not difficult to do, but who wants their camera open to the elements for more than a second or two when on location?)

On the 5D2, the image gets too soft beyond 28mm, but the word on the 7D version is that you can go as wide as 10mm with good results.

Given that the T4i apparently still aliases, this filter looks like a nice way to go.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM   #32
Major Player

Wow, I am getting excited. It is starting to look like my new camera is going to be the camera I already have.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #33
Major Player

I forgot about the over heating problem. I hope they can do something about that also.
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #34
Major Player

Is it my imagination, or does the anti-aliasing filter change the blacks - seems to make the blacks go milky and washed out in the without filter and with filter on their website.

Of course that could be fixed in post ... and a website photo is not the best avenue to judge the device.

Anyone with experience with the filter for the 5D have a comment?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #35
Inner Circle

It's an additional piece of glass, so there will be a small amount of diffusion which will lift the blacks. In practice, I haven't noticed it. I expose as needed, use the Picture Style that is appropriate, and grade as needed. It hasn't caused any difficulty at all.

One could increase the contrast in the Picture Style if they wanted to push the blacks down to avoid post work. That said, many people seek low contrast, so the lifted blacks could be an advantage.

I haven't measured the blacks with and without the filter. In practice, I just expose to the scene in the same way that I always have.
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM   #36
Major Player

When will this firmware be available? I am rigging my 7D to use while my Sony is in the shop, and I need the audio
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM   #37
Major Player

I'm with Ron. Looking on the Canon site and can only find firmware version 1.2.5

Would really love to get my paws on that manual audio.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #38
Major Player

It's on the site now for download.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD