Non-OEM batteries for Canon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 13th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Non-OEM batteries for Canon

Hi,

Just wondering how many here use Non-OEM batteries for their Canons? Just got a couple of Non-OEM batteries for our 60Ds and have previously read some of the risks/failures associated with using 3rd party batts, just wondering if anyone has had a bad experience. I only plan to use them as emergency back ups just in case.

Cheers

Kren
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Non-OEM batteries for Canon

Hi Kren, I've got a bag full of non Canon batteries, mostly from Amazon, but some from Ebay.
They have all been fine..so far. The higher capacity ones seam to work as advertised and they are so cheap I don't really worry about them too much.
I purchased the battery grip from Ebay as well and for the price I really cannot complain.
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Trustee

I had three non-genuine batteries for my 60D and they were all junk. One fell apart after a two weeks use (cracked open at the joins in the casing, was never dropped or mishandled). One did not sit properly in the charger and needed to be held in place with sticky tape in order to charge it up. The third worked perfectly for about three months until it caught fire on the charger... thank god it happened when it did and not while I was asleep. After that incident I promptly disposed of all my non-genuine batteries and bought 3 genuine LP-E6's (and a new charger just to be safe). A few hundred bucks seemed a pretty good price to pay if it meant preventing a possible house fire.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Kren I see you're also in Canada so I'll tell you where I got mine:
REPLACEMENT BATTERY FOR CANON REBEL 7D 60D 5D MARK II LP-E6 [LP-E6] - $22.00 : ProPhotographyGear.COM!
I've had no problems with it and it holds a charge as well as the OEM one.

John's post about one catching on fire made me a little worried but I see the specs say "short circuit and overload protection" so that makes me feel better. Also has 6 months warrantee.
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Major Player

I have bought several non OEM batteries and have had mixed results. Most of the ones I purchased from eBay have not worked out so well. The ones that have worked out the best are from here.
LP-E6 Fully Decoded Battery for Canon 5D, 7D, 60D | L.A. Color Online
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I found this ones and they work very good !! the best is the PRICE

2800mAh 7.4V Li-ion Battery Pack For Canon LPE6 LP-E6 EOS 60D Camera | eBay
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Bencosme View Post
I found this ones and they work very good !! the best is the PRICE

2800mAh 7.4V Li-ion Battery Pack For Canon LPE6 LP-E6 EOS 60D Camera | eBay
The standard Canon battery is only 1800mAh so if this cheap battery were truly the same physical size but with 2800mAh capacity then that would be fantastic not to mention quite a breakthrough in battery technology. Sadly I suspect that the claimed capacity is false. Keep an eye out when buying cheap replacements as some of the cheap don't even claim to be 1800mAh but as little as 1400mAh.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Major Player

I have 2 Canon batteries and two Delkin batteries for my 60D.

I have used Delkin brand replacement batteries with excellent results, and they cost about $20 less than Canon's with no perceived loss in performance.

I recommend them, and if I were in the market for more batteries thats what I would get. And they are available from my local camera store.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Major Player

I have invested a great deal in my 60D and my 5DMk lll, so using on-the-cheap aftermarket batteries and things like Magic Lantern aren't for me. I feel much better with the Canon logo on my camera, lenses and accessories. I've only had a warranty issue once and I was glad there weren't any 3rd-party issues I had to explain away. Canon took care of me. A few bucks extra is worth it for the peace of mind.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:39 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It's more than a few bucks. We have approximately 30 batteries for the 5D2/5D3. A few are genuine Canon while the rest cost approximately 1/3 the Canon price for a saving in total of over £1000/$1500.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD