60D blinking battery icon - camera is brain dead at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 27th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Major Player

60D blinking battery icon - camera is brain dead

After a shooting (and this time only stills) in not at all extreme situation I replaced the battery with a new (both Canon originals) and the battery wouldn't start up instead displaying an empty battery icon in the top LCD screen.
Thats all I get, no luck with other battery - the camera looks dead.

Has anybody experienced this? Please help.

I went to Canon, usual story: leave here for 7 days then we will know what it is, which I predict would be some costly hardware (main board?) replacement.

I wonder if anyone had this and found a solution (some tweaky-hacky thing) apart from having is dissected by Canon.

Thanks a bunch!

PS: contacts are clean, batteries fully charged and originals, pls dont give advice covering these, I am done with all that, need some real fix.
Old July 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 60D blinking battery icon - camera is brain dead

I had occasional issue like this with my 5D Mark II. Good thing about it was I also have an AC adapter for that camera, and was able to plug that in, and things started up. I don't know if one is available for the 60d.

Despite what you warned, its my guess that your batteries aren't charged up for some reason, and that there just isn't enough power to cycle the camera, or perhaps there is an issue in the battery compartment.

If camera was brain dead, you wouldn't think it would be sending a battery signal to the display.
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post

Despite what you warned, its my guess that your batteries aren't charged up for some reason, and that there just isn't enough power to cycle the camera, or perhaps there is an issue in the battery compartment.

If camera was brain dead, you wouldn't think it would be sending a battery signal to the display.
Canon service has inserted their own battery. Same thing, so its really not battery charge issue.
Any EOS camera can go brain dead (e.g hardware issue) yet sending error codes to the LCD....

Ok I phrase differently.

Anyone could imagine a fault that happens just because someone finished shooting replaced (original) battery and the result is PHYSICALLY damaged circuits? Because what Canon apparently wants to do is replacing some board inside for a lot of money. There was no overheating, no abuse, normal shooting only.

My guess still is that my issue can be solved with some tweaking and no need to replace board.

Please, any ideas?
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:40 AM   #4
Major Player

anyone has some ideas?
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I don't think any of us here will have an answer since we aren't Canon technicians.

The only insight I can offer is from the perspective of an electrical engineer and say that circuits do fail and tweaking doesn't fix them.
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you.

Just trying to find someone who had the same issue and tell me how fixed it.

I managed to fix a very sick 5DMkII with error code E70 popping up always by a tweak I have found online - but the result was not permanent, the problem came back time to time until I updated the firmware.
The update was very difficult, I attempted 3 times and actually switched off the cam during the process as the bar didnt move but stuck at 0% - I believed I killed my camera, luckily eventually the 3rd attempt worked and now the cam has no problem at all.

I say all these because the 5D started acting weird same time with the 60d went brain dead - and I use the same batteries for both.
Since I have no idea whats in the chip of the Canon batteries, I suspect it was a malfunctioning battery firmware that caused all the problems. Funny thing is that all batteries now work fine with the 5D - but I still can't make the 60D work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD