7D Firmware 2.0 Audio Issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 13th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Tourist

7D Firmware 2.0 Audio Issues

I upgraded both of my camera's to the new 2.0 firmware. However, when setting the audio to manual with a rode videomic pro plugged in, the levels never drop to zero and maintain a noise. I tried 2 rodemic pro's on both of my 7D's and the same issue occurred, once I unplug them, the levels drop to zero and work perfectly with just the onboard mic. I also tried a zoom h4n and though the result was a lower hum, the levels never dropped to zero in a quiet room... just maintained a low hum. Obviously I adjusted the audio manually but the only way for the room to register with no noise was to unplug the mic. I tested the same mic's on a 5d mark ii and the levels were perfect when adjusting manually and there was no constant hum/noise.

Anyone else test this?
Topher Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 7D Firmware 2.0 Audio Issues

I'm interested in hearing about this too.

Just wondering when u bring your audio into your NLE are both tracks recorded to or is one just low noise and the other with the recorded audio?
Mark Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #3
Major Player

I tested the Rode Video Mic Pro with the 7D and new firmware. I get two bars of sound level even with the 7D audio turned all the way down. I haven't downloaded the file to play it back or check the waveform. Haven't checked my Zoom yet, but it's probably going to be the same as you're getting. Must just be the microphone output is higher than usual. I'll try a couple other mics with the 7D and also check out the H4n.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #4
Tourist

Maybe this isn't a global problem? Seems like alot more people would be a bit bummed after waiting for this firmware to save our audio in terms of ambient/onboard.
Topher Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi there, don't laugh at me, but I haven't got the chance to test it with a more professional mic, but i tested it with my headphones mic, and to my surprise the sound was amazing, the test was almost like lavalier mic, what you are testing is like a field mic (shotgun super/hyper-cardioid). There has to be a catch somewhere, I don't want to confuse you. I'll be testing with a Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro this weekend and let u guys know.
Ciprian Ganciulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Major Player

I tried the 7d with the manual levels set on the first mark on the camera meter, using a Sinnheiser G2 and it sounds useable. I tried it with an Audio Technika 835b shot gun mic and the sound level was so low it was unusable. Even tho the 835b is a powered mic I suspect it will need a pre amp. So why does the wireless mic sound so much better? I believe it has its own pre amp because you can set the AF out. What do you think?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Major Player

I shot my first event with the 7d Saturday. The video looked great and the audio was good as well.

I rigged up a Beech tec DX6 (I had laying around) with a XLR Splitter sent the signal from my wireless mic to left and right channels on the Beech tec. Set the level on the right to 10 and the left to 5 set the camera to the first mark. That way if the speaker blows out the right the left will still be good.

As I had a chance I would look at the meter in the camera I ended up dropping the level on the right channel to 9. I hate not having head phones to monitor the sound.

The camera rig I have cobbled together is starting to work as I learn to use it. Rigged up it is a heavy rig for hand held work. I will be on a tripod as much as I can.
Attached Thumbnails
7D Firmware 2.0 Audio Issues-img_9477.jpg  

Last edited by Ron Little; August 28th, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Major Player

Here are a couple more pics of my audio setup.
Attached Thumbnails
7D Firmware 2.0 Audio Issues-img_9478.jpg   7D Firmware 2.0 Audio Issues-img_9479.jpg  

Ron Little is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD