Equipment Guide for quick release system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 12th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Equipment Guide for quick release system

Hey guys,

I'm working more and more video and am looking to make things a little easier.

Here is what i currently have:

701hdv fluid head from Manfrotto
Opteka slider
Flycam
Canon t2i with an assortment of lenses but mostly 30mm 1.4 Sigma , 50mm 1.4 Canon and 15-85mm Canon.
Rode videomic
Dolica ball head tripod

The 701hdv fluid head I just recieved today. It's pretty nice; however I do feel like the adapter plate is so friggen big. It sticks way out in both directions from the camera. I don't need that much slide - something simple would be fine. Are there any options or would I need a different head?

I was planning on buying more manfrotto 577 QR's so I had an interchangeable system but I just feel like the plates are way overkill for what I'm doing.

Any other ideas?

I was thinking maybe returning the 701hdv and stepping down to a 128RC and using the 323 system, but I think the flaw with THAT is that the 323 has a locking lever that protrudes below the QR; meaning it can't be mounted on a flush surface like the flycam.
Nick Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Equipment Guide for quick release system

Stay with the 701hdv, the 577 adapter and 501PL "plates".

The system, due to the size of the plates, is FAR STABLER than than the smaller components you've listed. Put the 701HDV head on a fair set of "sticks" (you might look at carbon fiber to keep weight down) and you'll make life a lot easier for the future.

I found with the T2i that it on the Velbon PH 368 fluid "effect" head (an outstanding bargain head for the price) with anything but the "kit" lens and EF 24, EF 28, and EF 50mm primes was about the limit.

The 701 is about as small as I would go and what I wound up using was the 501 head on Velbon carbon fiber legs. I was able to use a 7D, and 60D on that same setup and even some "L" series lenses.

I very strongly advise against "shortchanging" yourself by going with the lest sturdy setup as I consider the 128RC and 323 system MARGINAL for the T2i.

I've since converted to the Panasonic GH2 and still use the 501 head with a 577 on a SpiderBrace using 501PL plates. May look a little big but it is a sheer pleasure to work with. When something a bit smaller is needed that same PH 368 head mentioned above on a set of aluminum sticks works very well also.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Equipment Guide for quick release system

Thanks for the tips Bruce. I ended up sticking with the 501 plates. I've already gotten used to them, and they aren't too cumbersome I guess. Bonus is you can get to the battery without removing the plate.

Everyhing is working great, the only slightly tedious part is the flycam plate, I am using a Calumet adapter and the lock knob swings in the way of the plate and /or the bottom of the camera so I have to do it in 1/8 turn increments .. but still better than swapping plates and / or adapters.
Nick Reuter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD