Hot pixel repair question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 17th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Trustee

Hot pixel repair question

A few weeks ago, after a video shoot, The client discovered a red 'hot pixel" on my footage. When I got home, I shot with high iso against a dark object. I couldn't see it on the lcd, and had to use the on cam magnification to be able to see it through my Zacuto z finder. I captured the clip and could see it on my monitor. I called Canon and sent it to their repeiar center in Newport News, Va.
I got the camera back quickly and tried the same experiement. There was still a re dot (hot pixel) but it wasn't in the exact same place. In addition, there was now a tiny green dot high above the other dot. I never saw this the first time.
I then called Canon and they said they would send me an email and would pay for the shipping back to their service facility. After I got off the phone, I decided to to record a clip of the object wher I could see the red dot when maknifying. I captured the clip and tried it on two different monitors, but could not see it anywhere.
Has anyone else experienced this? I had planned to use it on a job out of town next week, and was thinking that I would try it for a while. They warranty their repairs for 6 months, so I guess I have time. But on the other hand, I'd hate to have it suddenly start popping up on footage, even though I can't see anything now..
Any suggestions?
Bruce Yarock
Video Production Fort Lauderdale, Miami, & West Palm Beach | Yarock Video Productions

Last edited by Bruce S. Yarock; September 17th, 2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Hot pixel repair question

I have the same thing on my T2i. It doesn't show up until the camera has warmed up a little. It seems to be appearing sooner and sooner when I shoot though. I haven't looked into repairs yet.

I just shot a wedding, and I see the white "dot" in footage that I know was shot after I had been using the camera more or less non stop for a few minutes. The dot disappears on footage shot once I had let the camera cool down for a few minutes. Taking the lens off, opening the battery and memory card doors and removing the battery and memory card MAY help to speed up the cooling.
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here's a screen grab. It's always in the same spot (after I've been filming for a while).
Attached Thumbnails
Hot pixel repair question-t2i-pixel.jpg  
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

And here's something I shot on July 4th this year, and you can see the white pixel here too. Actually, just watching it now, looks like I have 2 stuck pixels--one white and one blue! Neither is visible all the time.

The video is more or less edited in the sequence I filmed it in (it goes from day to night). You will notice the stuck pixels are not visible at first. The first time you see them is at about 1:20 mark, by which time the sun was going down, and I had been filming for a while.

Also, on that evening I got several over-heating warnings, and I had to let the camera cool down for a bit (it was very hot on the 4th, even at night). So I'm assuming the pixels are related to the heat.

Old September 20th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Try the fix described in post 11 in this thread. Worked perfectly for me: uh oh, is this a dead pixel in my T2i? - Page 2
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD