EOS M thread - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 5th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #76
Major Player

Re: EOS M thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Whelan View Post
Mark - First of all I don't think the 22 is "very" sharp, or maybe it is the camera, or maybe it is the specific one I bought, who knows, but that is just part of the equation on why I am returning it. I did not buy the camera to add a bigger bulkier lens to it, I have my FS100 for that. For a 3rd camera angle for work it would not be hand held, but the other 1/2 of my intent was for personal, fun, travel, etc. where I would be shooting some kind of hand held video. I did not expect it to be perfect, knowing there was no IS in the camera or lens but man it is horrible! Reminds me of my early day flip cam.
Chad,
Check out the Olympus OM-D E-M5. Watch this Vimeo movie made with this camera.
Journey (Olympus OM-D E-M5)

Amazon has it at $900 body only-
Amazon.com: Olympus OM-D E-M5 16MP Live MOS Interchangeable Lens Camera with 3.0-Inch Tilting OLED Touchscreen and 12-50mm Lens (Silver): OLYMPUS: Camera & Photo

I just got through with researching this one with great interest because they claim to be the fastest Auto Focus among all the cameras out there and they also are the only company to make this camera with a 5 point IS,, which looks superb IMO. He held the camera in his hand pointing out the back window of a moving tram through the city. They said he made the Journey movie all hand held looking out the back window of moving traffic. I was thinking maybe I could go without a tripod after seeing this footage.

Alex
Edit-I forgot it is also weather sealed. But I am still not clear about video specs. It shows it as-(Really? 59.94i? not 60p?)
Full HD: 1920(H)x1080(V), 59.94i Recording *3
20Mbps(Fine) *4 / 17Mbps(Normal) *4 : Aspect 16:9 (20Mbps is not that great IMO)
HD: 1280(H)x720(V), 59.94i Recording *3,
13Mbps(Fine) *4 / 10Mbps(Normal) *4 : Aspect 16:9

i ?? an 30p. And only 20Mb/s nitrate H.264, which is not that great.

Last edited by Alex Anderson; August 5th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #77
Major Player

Al - I think you hit the nail on the head with the $300 price point. Maybe I expected more, I certainly was excited about getting it and hoped for more. I had read so many good things but honestly was just really let down. One of my 2nd shooters uses a 7D with the 18-55 kit lens and the video generally looks pretty good, much much better than the M. Shooting well lit video on a tripod with the M looks okay and I would definitely say yes it is worth the $300 if that is the intended application. Shooting wide open anything above 800 iso introduces quite a bit of noise as well. Again for $300 I suppose that is okay but I wanted more and expected more after what I have read.

John - now that is quite a comparison and is more in tune with different reviews that I have read that got my hopes up. Maybe I have a bad copy but my 22 is not sharp at all, stills or videos. I have never shot video with any prior canon dslr before so if the IS is the same across the board without an IS lens then lesson learned on that front, I just did not expect it to be as bad is it is.

Mark - my flip cam comparison was to the IS only. There was never any comparison to the FS100, not sure how you got that.

Thanks Alex, I will check that out.
Old August 5th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #78
Major Player

Chad,
I have felt the same as you about the M. Somewhat disappointed at times. I got minbe maybe two weeks ago. I think we all get our expectations high because we are thinking about how it has the same sensor as all the others except the full frame cameras. And, it has the Digic 5.

Alex
Old August 6th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #79
Trustee

Quote:

Mark - my flip cam comparison was to the IS only. There was never any comparison to the FS100, not sure how you got that.
So let me tell you: you said you did not want to put the kit zoom on the EOS-M because you already had the FS100 with a big lens, implying the EOS-M and kit would be just like your FS100 in size. And I replied that the EOS-M and the *IS* kit zoom is smaller than just the lens on the FS100. Got it? The EOS-M and kit zoom is small (and sharp) and you will be able to get steady video with it.

Look around all you want at big-sensor, small cameras. There is nothing better and smaller (not to mention cheaper) than the EOS-M + kit IS zoom.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #80
Inner Circle

Quote:
John - now that is quite a comparison and is more in tune with different reviews that I have read that got my hopes up. Maybe I have a bad copy but my 22 is not sharp at all, stills or videos.
I wonder if you are having focus issues? If the AF is off, it will make the lens look quite soft.

I'll be curious to see the next version of the M. I would expect it to have the focus system of the 70D. And I expect that there will be a new M lens or two when it is launched. I have the Pro Fotodiox adapter and a nice, small collection of EF lenses, but it's really nice to travel with a smaller lens setup.

I'll take an f/2.8 10-16mm zoom and a fast 50 IS prime, please. :)
Old August 6th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #81
Major Player

Jon,

How is that Fotodiox adapter working for you? I have now tried two of them and they both wiggle too much on the lens mount of the M. After it clicks on, you can go back and use your hand to rotate it easily and it moves/rotates back and forth a 1/6th or so. They assured me they sent me the second one that fit snug and tight, but it was the same problem.

Alex
Old August 6th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #82
Inner Circle

If anything, mine felt a bit too snug when installing/removing it. I don't recall any excessive play. It's not with me at the moment though, so I can't reevaluate right now...
Old August 6th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
Al - I think you hit the nail on the head with the $300 price point. Maybe I expected more, I certainly was excited about getting it and hoped for more. I had read so many good things but honestly was just really let down. One of my 2nd shooters uses a 7D with the 18-55 kit lens and the video generally looks pretty good, much much better than the M. Shooting well lit video on a tripod with the M looks okay and I would definitely say yes it is worth the $300 if that is the intended application. Shooting wide open anything above 800 iso introduces quite a bit of noise as well. Again for $300 I suppose that is okay but I wanted more and expected more after what I have read.
Yes, I would agree. I gave up shooting video with my 7D because I felt that the image couldn't 'compete' with my 5D and 4:2:2 camcorders. I've not found that the M video seems worse than the 7D, about as bad over 800 as I would expect. I have shot a lot of higher ISO stuff with the 7D, some of it has come out quite well, but there are so many better choices these days, as you heard with the Olympus, and especially the GH2/3.

I think for the price it's a good trade off. It will be interesting to see what this fall's line up brings.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:34 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Hello everybody. Say, can you do manual adjustment to aperture, iso and shutter speed on this camera, or does magic lantern does it?
Erick Munari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:42 PM   #85
Trustee

The EOS M out of the box provides full manual control in video (shutter, aperture, ISO all independently fixed at whatever you want), or shutter, aperture fixed, but ISO auto), or all three auto. Unlike many cameras, audio is also fully manually controllable.

ML mostly adds aids to shooting (like visible live histogram, focus peaking).
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:33 PM   #86
Major Player

Just a FYI to newcomers, ML might have a solution for getting audio out of the USB port on the M. It's still work in progress. You also get RAW recording on the M now. And timelapse recording.

Alex
Old September 3rd, 2013, 06:39 PM   #87
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
The EOS M out of the box provides full manual control in video (shutter, aperture, ISO all independently fixed at whatever you want), or shutter, aperture fixed, but ISO auto), or all three auto. Unlike many cameras, audio is also fully manually controllable.

ML mostly adds aids to shooting (like visible live histogram, focus peaking).

Mark, I must be loosing my marbles! When I put the camera in video mode, my ISO, shutter and aperture and all in AUTO! May I ask if there is a setting that I am overseeing?
Old September 3rd, 2013, 06:50 PM   #88
Regular Crew

I figured it out! On 'Q' press the camera icon for auto or manual option! So happy now. Thanks for believing in me guys!
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:11 PM   #89
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Munari View Post
Mark, I must be loosing my marbles! When I put the camera in video mode, my ISO, shutter and aperture and all in AUTO! May I ask if there is a setting that I am overseeing?
Yes, choosing "Manual" mode! It defaults out of the box to Auto mode. Touch the A in the upper left (if I recall) of the lcd. Then you will get the choice of Auto or Manual. Choose Manual, and from then on when you turn on the camera in video mode you will be in manual mode, with an M in the upper left.
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #90
Inner Circle

Anyone using Wasabi batteries? It sure is tempting to buy handfuls of them.

Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Canon LP-E12 and Canon EOS M, EOS Rebel SL1, EOS 100D: Camera & Photo
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD