EOS M HDMI out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 9th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Major Player

EOS M HDMI out

what do you get from the HDMI ouput on this camera? Full HD 30p? Does the LCD still work when you plug in an external monitor using the HDMI port? Does the audio also come thru the HDMI out along with the video to a monitor? Any other possible problems about this we don't know about?

Alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: EOS M HDMI out

Left picture is in stills mode, right one is in movie mode. No image on the camera screen. (so I guess you could call this a "problem"). When playing back the video image is clean however. So it works as expected. By the way, HDMI by it's spec is both audio and video if I remember right. I think it's worth remembering that this has never been positioned as a "professional" camera, but a high end point and shoot with interchangeable lenses. It does appear that a new model is imminent, and that there will be a 'professional' version. The camera has worked very well for me, I actually use it more than either my 7D or 5D mkiii. It's extremely portable and the latest firmware update, from late June, actually makes the AF useable. I've put all my EFS lenses on it, and they work great. I use the 22mm pancake the most, and given that it's 18MP I can crop down to 1/2 size image and still have a beautiful 9 MP image. If you can still find one for under $400 (which was the latest price drop if I remember), it's a steal. B&H still have a few with the zoom, but appear to be out of the model with the 22mm on it.

This is an unretouched image at 3.5 MB from it at the Grand Canyon in May, using the 22mm pancake lens. Not even RAW. The original was 22 MB
Attached Thumbnails
EOS M HDMI out-grand-canyon-2013-103.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Al Bergstein; July 9th, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Major Player

I see the EOS M now for $350 with the 18 to 55m lens included as a kit. The 22m lens is $200 extra. I also remember reading about some other camera that did send clean video out HDMI, but no audio. I have been researching a lot of cameras and it's hard to remember some things. I would have to dig thru a lot of files to recall which one.

I have found that all these Canon cameras, except the full frame 5DM3 and the 6D, have the same sensors and the same video quality. The lenses seem to be the only thing that makes a big difference for shooting video, which is what I need. I am wanting a good quality HD video camera with the smallest size camera so I appear as some tourist so I can do some documentary projects without really being noticed too much, or bothered. I would get the 5DM3 and some fast L lenses for shooting very low light if it didn't cost so much for me at this time. Maybe later or somehow find some funds for it now. Or, maybe this EOS M can do it with certain lenses on the adapter.

I was just curious about the HDMI out on this cam.
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You can still order the $299 22mm lens deal and it will ship when back in stock FYI. From what I gather – this is the choice lens most people are getting with it. I think the deal is supposed to end today at some outlets.

I also see there is talk of a Magic Lantern Firmware hack that allows RAW video files from the M. Not probably something I would try myself (while under warranty), but something I’m sure you guys might be interested in.
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Jason,

I saw that $299 deal online at Best Buy. That lens is also fine for me for now. I hear you about the Magic Lantern. It is not listed yet as being a stable version.

Alex
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Though the 22mm kit is out of stock, it's still available to order at the discounted price through today. Looks like they'll get more on the 11th.
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanx for the heads up guys.

Last edited by Alex Anderson; July 9th, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Major Player

Just tried it with HDMI out on my large Sony. Here's what I saw. The image while recording is not full screen but shows the typical controls you see on the little photos I did. When I play back in 30p or 24p it *is* full screen and with sound out, which I expect. I have no way of testing whether the HDMI image coming out during shooting actually has the audio channel with it, I assume it does.

As stated above:
I have found that all these Canon cameras, except the full frame 5DM3 and the 6D, have the same sensors and the same video quality. " Not true. The 5D is a full frame sensor (I have one) and it is much different than the 7D APS-C which I also have and is the bigger version of the M. The M is APS-C not full frame.

The lenses seem to be the only thing that makes a big difference for shooting video,

Compared to what? It has better audio controls than most of it's size.

I am wanting a good quality HD video camera with the smallest size camera so I appear as some tourist so I can do some documentary projects without really being noticed too much, or bothered.
This fits that bill.
I would get the 5DM3 and some fast L lenses for shooting very low light if it didn't cost so much for me at this time. Maybe later or somehow find some funds for it now. Or, maybe this EOS M can do it with certain lenses on the adapter.

Again, this is a replacement for the 7D or T2i/T3i not a 5D. But yes, it is a very good small camera for doc projects without being noticed as anything more than a still photog.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD