Can't get ML to update on my new 128GB card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 18th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Can't get ML to update on my new 128GB card

I just got a Komputerbay 128GB SDXC Secure Digital Extended Capacity Speed Class 10 600X UHS-I Ultra High Speed Flash Memory Card 60MB/s Write 90MB/s Read 128 GB. I have a T3i and I can't get the camera to do a firmware update to ML like I have always done before with other cards. Anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to get it to work?

Alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Can't get ML to update on my new 128GB card

I just went through this with my first SDXC card - they're different! First I had to get an SDXC card reader, then...

About the same time, I was having problems with an SDHC card not responding in the camera to the ML install - that is, the 60D ran on its native firmware.

I never did get to the absolute bottom of it, but it appeared that neither card was "bootable". Per the ML Wiki documentation, I downloaded EOSCard.exe (I'm on windows). I've not seen the documentation on it, but it seemed easy enough to use.

EOSCard first analyzes the card, it recognized the exFAT format, and showed the status of other card content.

I then selected the big "ML" button, and clicked "Save".

Voila, this worked on both SDXC and SDHC. One of them didn't have the fir file on it, but ML still booted.

Find it on the ML site here: install [Magic Lantern wiki], where you'll also find a screen shot of how it should be configured. The big "CHDK-Raw" button seems to be optional, used by those downloading the dev releases of ML.

Edit: Here's the process http://vimeo.com/38964397#

Edit: Future readers on mac, there is an equivalent utility called macboot that you can get to from the ML install page linked above.

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; July 18th, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Seth,

Thank you very much for the info and the video on it.

Alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Major Player

After looking in on the ML forum, I think we still cannot use ML on the M yet with Canon ver 2.0.2 firmware installed. And we can't go backwards on firmware from I understand. So, it's not just 128gb card thing. I hope ML can get it all working soon.

Alex.
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD