7D raw buffers cracked by Magic Lantern - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 5th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: 7D raw buffers cracked by Magic Lantern

you could buy an atomos ninja, since magic lantern can remove all the info and focus box etc from your hdmi output. I do believe the semi transparent letterbox is still there which needs to be cropped in post.
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #32
Regular Crew

In your opinion(s), why don't more people do this? Wouldn't DSLR video folks prefer this to getting a separate field monitor and burning through CF cards?

Also, are the settings within Magic Lantern applied to the Ninja ProRes 422 recording, or does it record a stock setting?
Casey Danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #33
Trustee

I have no ninja, but I know the ninja is set independently from the camera. Among the things that would impact it is resolution, picture style and fps since that is what that will be recorded through hdmi.
I could be wrong on one of those.
Old February 6th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Sucks that there isn't a medium-quality option for those of us who aren't equipped to handle RAW. If there is a Ninja recorder that can record ProRes 422, AND the EOS architecture can handle recording something as robust as RAW video, why isn't there an intermediary format, or the option to record directly to ProRes 422?

Please forgive the ignorance and excitement!

cd in DC
Old February 6th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #35
Trustee

what do you usually use video for? Long projects like events and weddings? or Corporate stuff thats shorter? I'm asking because I currently have a mid range quad core and I'm using it to run resolve which is free and do initial color grade of the RAW footage before exporting the clips to h264 for editing on my NLE.
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Somewhere between the noticeable artifacts of H.264 and the superbly rendered and data-rich RAW format.

Seems like someone much smarter than me could figure out a way to capture ProRes 422 in real-time, but I have no idea how complicated a task that would be.
Old February 10th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Danielson View Post
Somewhere between the noticeable artifacts of H.264 and the superbly rendered and data-rich RAW format.

Seems like someone much smarter than me could figure out a way to capture ProRes 422 in real-time, but I have no idea how complicated a task that would be.
There are many many more variables in attempting to load logic into the hardware, than it is hooking into the raw buffers and extracting frames. Something that will not happen on DSLRs in the near future unless you want to get rowdy with essentially hard porting into the bus or interfacing to an external prores encoder via this as a sort of pass through if you can figure out communication.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD