70D Issue? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 13th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: 70D Issue?

This is not one of the links I saw before but, here is one about the Tamron 24-70 causing battery drain on the 70D and the 6D. It may be that you just need to send the lens in for a firmware update.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...php?p=16293412

Bob
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Rickert View Post
This review is kinda interesting because they put a go-pro on the top of the 70d so you can watch the auto focus in action.

Canon EOS 70D Hands-on Review (filmed with a Canon 70D) - YouTube
I love that Youtube channel, they make it so much more intreating. I know all the tech, but for most people they make it rather easy to understand!
Linn Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Bob,

I tried shooting video this morning with the 70-200mm and the Canon 1.4X II extender and it seemed to work as well as it did without it.
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #19
DVi Contributor

the 70D does have a self cleaning mode. The chart of compatible Canon Lenses from Canon is currently 103. Long list, however not all are on it, the STM class of glass is the best for video recording even if you are using an off board recorder like the Zoom, mounted on a hot shoe. Its probably a Tamron compatibility issue, and Canon may not have shared that information with other lens makers?

The touch screen is really helpful after you get used to it. and I like that the HDMI and the screen can both be hot at the same time.

All-I or IPB is a plus. Bummer about no headphone jack, since they make a point to tell you it has 64 step volume control.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Well, I contacted Tamron reps here in Toronto about my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC not working in video mode with the Canon 70D and they told me they are aware of the issue and will get back to me asap. I hope so!
Today im doing a small wedding so I decided to try the 70D With the 40mm f2.8 STM for the preps and pre-ceremony and pre-reception (paired with footage from a Canon XF 300 for the longer stuff) and i was impressed by its autofocus with the STM lens. Shooting at 2.8 and using selective focus it can rack focus smoothly and i dont have to guess. Sure i would love to monitor audio but at least for non critical audio there is volume indicators on the LCD and if i really want to do it right I can plug in my G2 sennheiser into a Tascam recorder with both line out to the 70D and headphone jack.
I just wish i dont have to buy new canon lens like their overpriced 17-55 f2.8
The LCD is good under most lighting.
On monday i will compare it to the GH3 which i hear is not as good.
I wonder if the GH3 has autofocus for video as good as the Canons
Anyone has hands on experience with both?
Thanks- almost missd the first dance!!
Erick
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I have used a Panasonic GH3 since late January and I would agree that the LCD is not as good as that on the 70D. I have only used the 70D for about a week and need more experience to give more definitive opinions on the autofocus, but at this point it seems the Canon is at least as good if not better than the GH3. One thing I do know for sure is that the Canon menus are easier to understand (at least for someone who started digital photography with the Canon 10D in 2003 and has been using Canon DSLRs ever since).

A very useful feature on the 70D is the ability to turn autofocus off and on by touching the servoAF icon at the bottom left of the touch screen. This is much like the push autofocus that was on the XL-1s, XL-H1, etc. This enables you to lock focus so there it does not hunt. When it is locked the focusing box is greyed out. If you have stopped recording and the lens is in that mode you can hit the magnify buttons and fine tine your focus manually. It will remain at that point, until you touch the ServoAF icon again. I have not been able to find a control that is this positive and easy to use with the GH3.

The big problem is that I still prefer the look of the GH3 video, but prefer the way that the Canon operates in most respects. Thiis is not saying that the 70D video quality is bad, but it is not as sharp as the GH3. 70D video looks much like 7D, T3i, etc. video, while 5D MK III video has a different look. It is much harder for me to pick between the video quality of the GH3 and the 5D MK III, but I mostly use the GH3 because I film wildlife and need to reach out, so the M4/3 sensor of the GH3 and its' extended telephoto mode makes it a better choice. The 70D does have an aps-c sensor and it has the digital zoom which works reasonably well as long as one stays at 3X. This makes it competitive with the GH3 for long range filming and I especially like that I can use by Canon glass without having to use adapters. The next few weeks will tell which camera I end up using the most.
Old November 15th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #22
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Chartier View Post
The touch screen is really helpful after you get used to it. and I like that the HDMI and the screen can both be hot at the same time. A
Craig, with my 70D i can have only hdmi/ av-out or the lcd screen, but not both together - is there a setting in the menue to have both hot?

Thanks

Klaus
Klaus Schuberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Schuberth View Post
Craig, with my 70D i can have only hdmi/ av-out or the lcd screen, but not both together - is there a setting in the menue to have both hot?

Thanks

Klaus
Strange. You might need to dig through the menus. Mine gave both right out of the box.

Bob
Old November 15th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #24
Trustee

Is the 70d better than the 60d in low light or the same? anyone
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #25
Trustee

I can't say compared to the 60D, but we own the 5d Mark ii and it's not as good. For us, we was a huge upgrade over the T3I/600D.

I'd say 3200 ISO is possible, though we really try not to go above 2500 ISO, compared to our 5d where I don't worry about 3200 too much.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #26
Trustee

Cheers Robert, just going to upgrade in Jan feb for next year but struggling low light 60d, so will probably be 6d or 5d iii.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #27
Trustee

Like I've said before, Steve, for us it's about flexibility. During the ceremony, we love the 70D. I can hide at the top of the aisle and have the bride and her dad stay in focus the whole way. Then, we use it for quick shots like parents reacting, where, again, the autofocus comes in very handy.

We went with 5d Mark ii because we got two of them, gently used (10,000 clicks each, or so) for $2100, which left room in the budget for the 70D (currently $1100). We may get another 70D in the spring so that both the wife and I can have one during prep times, where the follow focus would, again, be a wonder.

We haven't had any problems with our 70D since we got rid of all our standard class 10 SD cards and only use our extreme speeds instead.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #28
Trustee

Cheers Robert, will my 17-55 2.8 fit on there as I heard there is some mismatch on the 70d. and that lens will not fit. sigma 30mm 1.4 canon 1.4 sigma 70-200 my other lens. The 70 d is tempting I held one the other night and whilst I still love my 60ds it felt better in the hand. I did hold a 6d also and that felt good, the mark iii felt a little big and heavy so im weighing up my options still. Thanks for your info cheers
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD