What can the 70D do? You'd be surprised! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 19th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What can the 70D do? You'd be surprised!

I was poking around on the Canon USA website today and found this short film and BTS video. These guys have done an amazing job using only a 70D and Canon EF and EF-S lenses.

Canon U.S.A. : EOS 70D Short Film

Bob
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: What can the 70D do? You'd be surprised!

Thanks, Bob

Astonishing! I bought a 70D for stills and use as a Director's Finder for my work with a C300. Looking at this film I will do some testing.

I look forward to getting a couple more bodies if the tests work out as I would like to shoot interviews from multiple perspectives.
Don Platon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Good find Bob. I look on Vimeo and found the film. I want to see it in full screen.

Tips of Our Fingers

Tips of Our Fingers - Behind the Scenes
Michael Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Trustee

Fantastic. A great illustration of why we bought one, and plan on getting a 2nd, for shooting weddings. The 70D makes run and gun shooting a lot easier.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I love this camera! I drag it with me almost everywhere I go. My poor XA20, which I bought a month before getting the 70D, just sits in the bag.

Bob
Old November 25th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Major Player

70D is pretty much the same in video terms as the 60D isn't it?
Either way they're not 13stop super machines. It's nice to remember that you can get good video out of such cameras with some practice and skill.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Trustee

it's never about the camera, it's all and always about who's holding it;
you can give to creative person any camera to shoot and they will give you back amazing story, and whether you track your focus manually, or the camera does it for you is just a small detail.
Old December 1st, 2013, 06:00 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
it's never about the camera, it's all and always about who's holding it;
Something often repeated…. and often comes across as rather condescending.

Tools are what a craftsman uses to do his craft, so having better tools usually means the craftsman can be more creative.

A great tool alone won't make you a craftsman, but a craftsman with a better tool can take his craft further than before.

It's easy to dismiss new tools & technology as unnecessary, but those who can't see new potentials are perhaps not the craftsmen they 'think' they are.
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Major Player

Dave, my thoughts exactly.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Canon 70D Autofocus + Movi M10 - Magnanimous Media
Old December 1st, 2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Major Player

Yes, given it's specs, I think a lot of shooters might consider it. It's interesting that Canon has decided to move to AVCHD for the video. I can't say that I would see myself swapping out a C100 or 5Dmkiii for one of these, as it doesn't have dual slots or the other pro level video requirements. But it is a very good competitor for the GH3 etc. crowd. I assume ML will come out with a hack, if they haven't already. Wonder about it's anti-aliasing, macroblocking etc. I assume it's about the same as all the others in that range. Great for web footage. Less great for large screen viewing? I still have a 7D that doesn't get much useage. Might sell that for a 70D. I would bet the footage would more closely match my C100? Same sensors...maybe a good B cam.

EDIT: Having used a T2i I would agree that it's an upgrade. Also given that the C100 is adding the AF feature as an upgrade, obviously Canon thinks it's pretty unique. The filmmakers certainly loved it, and I don't think they were just saying that because of Canon's support. The use of it with the actress running the camera was pretty cool.

Last edited by Al Bergstein; December 2nd, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Trustee

Al, this was a big upgrade from a pair of T3i/600Ds for us, and are used in conjunction with a pair of 5d mark iis.

For you, I'd think it depends on possible uses. For instance, at a wedding, it's great for the processional/recessional, or to be able to shoot reaction shots on the fly during speeches, et al.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm going to pick up a VAF-70D Moire / Aliasing Filter from Mosaic Engineering. I want be able to upgrade for some time after buying the 70D but it's a hobby for me. I would love to have a C100 or C300. I seen where Philip Bloom used one on a Nikon D800 it work great.

VAF-70D Moire / Aliasing Filter
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:48 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bishop View Post
I'm going to pick up a VAF-70D Moire / Aliasing Filter from Mosaic Engineering. I want be able to upgrade for some time after buying the 70D but it's a hobby for me. I would love to have a C100 or C300. I seen where Philip Bloom used one on a Nikon D800 it work great.

VAF-70D Moire / Aliasing Filter
In their product description, they say almost no effect on resolution with most lenses. I've seen these filters before but now I'm curious about how they work. What type of lenses will they degrade performance? Very noticeable difference in the demo video, though I've never had anything near as severe as what they were able to produce.

Bob
Old December 4th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Bob the most I have seen it was the first time I had it out shooting. Part of it was may have been the movement I was doing. Plus I was under expose for that shot. I got to pick up a nice video fluid head for my tripod. In this video at 00:47 00:57.

I read about a lot of people complaining about Moire / Aliasing and had seen this has a option to help. Here is a video of Philip Bloom using one on a Nikon D800. He shows it at 7:35-10:08 in the video.

I think at times it could be a pain to put in and take out. You can't shoot photos with it in.
Michael Bishop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD