Shooting through Windows/glass, stop reflections of lights on the glass at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 13th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Shooting through Windows/glass, stop reflections of lights on the glass

Hey guys, Quick question, would a Polariser on a DSLR help to stop reflection/glare from lights when shooting through a window/glass?

I've attached a still from when I shot through a Glass window in a booth at a live wrestling event. The window cant be opened, and the booth was the only place to have the camera. The wrestling promoter is happy with the footage but I'd like to try and prevent the reflection/glare for the next time we shoot in that venue, You can see the reflection/glare that is present on the bottom right of the screen (they look like light streaks), so I was wondering would using a Polariser would help this?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Shooting through Windows/glass, stop reflections of lights on the glass-mvi_2523.mov.still001.jpg  
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shooting through Windows/glass, stop reflections of lights on the glass

it 'might', depends on the direction of the reflection, i would test it out in advance, though if you're locked into that location anyways, then if it works it works
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Circular polarizer maybe?
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Major Player

The Lenskirt might work for you. I use it all the time to shoot through my hotel windows and it works great to eliminate reflections. A circular polarizer works also, but not as good. I have to readjust the filter any time I change the angle of the lens to the window.

LENSKIRT - Block reflections when taking pictures through glass

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

There are four things you can do, all of which will help.

1. Clean the glass.

2. Make the room dark (I like the lenskirt Mark linked to above! You can also hang some black duvetene to back the camera for the same effect, if you can't turn off the room lights.)

3. Ram the camera right up to the glass, the closer the better. 1/16" is not too close, but don't have it touch.

4. Yes, a polarizer, but you'll also lose some light.
Old March 13th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
The Lenskirt might work for you. I use it all the time to shoot through my hotel windows and it works great to eliminate reflections. A circular polarizer works also, but not as good. I have to readjust the filter any time I change the angle of the lens to the window.

LENSKIRT - Block reflections when taking pictures through glass
I shoot out of aircraft quite a bit and stopping reflections is a big deal. I made and use a very effective skirt from a truck shift boot from Pep Boys. (Not my idea, many pilots use this.) But short of that a rubber lens hood is very effective if you are shooting straight on. Amazon.com: Fotodiox 3-Section Rubber Lens Hood, Sun Shade, 67mm: Camera & Photo .
Just press the hood up against the glass and make sure it is well sealed.

I've tried several times and ever had much luck with polaroid filters for this.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #7
Trustee

If you're trying to cut reflections with a polarizer and the window is parallel with the filter, it won't work. You need to shoot through the glass at an angle (57 degrees) to minimize the reflections.

In this case, a black skirt or dark room would be your best solution since you would also lose 1 or 2 stops with the polarizer.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 04:12 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm in the same situation twice a week, shooting sports from the booth. I solved the problem mounting a black muslin (on a background stand) as wide as the window and dim the lights in the room . With a black muslin 95% f the reflections are gone, just make sure that you wear black too (including arm and hands). As others said a pola won't work (and then will take 2 stops) if shot perpendicular.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD