Best Wide Angle? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Best Wide Angle?

Trying to figure out which wide angle lens would be best for me. I currently shoot on a T3i and do more coprorate videos and a little run and gun. I plan on taking some photos with this, but the video aspect of it is priority as I plan on using it a lot with my slider and steadicam. I always hear people saying that you need to focus on primes, which I am fine with but I've also seen the Tokina 11-16mm which looks like a nice lens. I am looking to spend around $500 or so. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I'd love to have image stabilization as well but i know that can jack the price up. Is it really worth it
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best Wide Angle?

The Tokina is fine for what you plan to use it for. With such a short zoom, it's practically a prime. I haven't seen any ultra wides with IS, being ultra wide, you shouldn't really need IS, those lenses seem to hide the jitters pretty good. Something the Tokina has over the Canon 10-22 is the constant aperture and it can also be fitted to a full frame sensor camera in case you ever upgrade. (The Canon 10-22 is an EF-S lens and will only fit on the crop sensor cameras. I have both of these lenses and use the Canon 10-22 mostly, but that's only because I tend to shoot pictures with it. The build quality of the Tokina is better also. The main beef I have with that lens is the short zoom range and the push-pull mechanical engagement ring for MF/AF. I like the electrical-type switch on the Canon lens better. I researched wide angle primes and found them to be quite expensive and so have stuck with my two zooms for now. If I were to go prime, I'd probably upgrade to a full frame camera first, then get something like the 14mm Canon.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Major Player

I really think your best bet is the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 zoom you mentioned. That's where I'd start anyways. I hear there's a new version II out now. I find myself in the same boat as you, and that's where my research is leading me.
Alternately, you could look at older Nikkor primes such as the 20mm f2.8. Or Canon makes a current EOS model as well. That would give you about a 33mm F2.8.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #4
Trustee

Sigma's 18-35mm f/1.8 is getting great reviews and tops out at $800. If you ever upgrade to the 70D, it would work with the auto focus tracking.

Or Sigma's 17-50mm f/2.8, though I'm not sure about the reviews on that. It's under $500. Both lenses have OS (optical stabilization they call it)
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Oh so not every lens will work with the autofocus of the 70D? I did not know that. Interesting
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I use the Canon 10-22mm which I chose as it has a more useful zoom range than the Tokina 11-16mm - and for a few other reasons.

I use it now on my C100 (which has, as of this last week, the new Dual Pixel AF firmware upgrade on it). It works a treat with that.

Like Mark, I also much prefer the arrangement the Canon gives you for switching between AF and MF. It's superb on my 7D (which is the cam I originally bought it for, but that is only used as a still camera now - which it is very good at, BTW) as it gives little distortion, even on the very wide end, is razor sharp and is much less susceptible to lens flare - something that even the newer version II Tokina 11-16mm seems to suffer from (from what I've read - cannot speak from personal experience).

However, the Tokina 11-16mm (both version I and II lenses) are heavier, have better build quality and of course a constant F2.8 through their (very limited) zoom range in their favour. Those are big plusses for video use...

Personally, I don't think you'd be unhappy with either of them, or the Canon 10-22mm ...but the best thing is to go and try a few wide angle options in a camera shop and see what you personally prefer.
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #7
Wrangler

Tokina 11-16 is the king of the ultrawide for APS-C. Not a ton of great primes in this range so it's almost a no-brainer.
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #8
Major Player

I don't think the 18-35 1.8 has stabilization, unfortunately.
Wouldn't the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS or Canon 17-55 2.8 IS be a better choice? I think the range is more useful AND they both have IS...
Focusing is hard enough at 2.8!
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD