Canon 70D Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 27th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon 70D Audio

What does it mean that the Canon 70D has no headphone jack? How would I proceed with not being able to hear the audio during recording? I thought I saw a video of the camera with an on-screen audio bar or level display. Is that sufficient?

Does this speak to the camera's audio recording (not referring to built-in microphone) capabilities?
Richard Schowalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Canon 70D Audio

The 70D has neither a headphone jack OR an audio meter on the screen. As far as I know, none of the Canons have an audio meter UNLESS you install MagicLantern, which is not available for the 70D.

We shoot weddings with two 70Ds, and one 5dMark II (with MagicLantern). I put the wireless mic input into the 5d Mark ii precisely because I can see the levels. I also have 2 pocket recorders (one on the groom), so even if, somehow, the audio from the 70Ds is missing, it doesn't matter.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #3
Major Player

The 70d does have audio metering on-screen, but levels can only be controlled when recording is stopped, and by poking a few 'buttons'. A Rode video mic pro is useful in that you have a switch with three levels of gain that can control levels, to get you in the ballpark and to prevent clipping.
Magic lantern will hopefully fix those shortcoming after there is new Canon firmware. But not for a painfully long wait....
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #4
New Boot

Thank you for the replies. I looked up Magic Lantern and was pretty surprised. I had no idea.
Richard Schowalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Having an audio level meter on one of the menu screens is the next best thing to having it visible while shooting. If you get an XLR adapter with a meter, of which there are many products, you can calibrate it to the camera's meters and be fairly confident of your levels. You'll likely need a tone generator of some kind to do the calibration.

Gold Line GL1K Microphone Level Input Tester
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi all,
I have the Canon 70D upgraded from the 60D. Others are correct. There is a Audio level metter. I access the level meter from the touch screen which is the easiest way to access the option. i can't remember if i had to set things up that way but the option is in the left lower corner of my acreen. I have to tap on the option in the upper Right to access the menus and then click on the Auto icon in the lower left. I would like to be able to monitor audio buring recording but can not. I do not have magic Lanturn installed if ML is available for the 70D. I have ML on my 60D. I am thinking of getting both Video mic Pros, shotgun and stereo. I have the Rode NGT2 mic but it is just to big to mount on my 70D. I have done it however eventhough it is big expecially with a blimp installed. Looking for a more compact option.

John Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Schowalter View Post
What does it mean that the Canon 70D has no headphone jack? How would I proceed with not being able to hear the audio during recording? I thought I saw a video of the camera with an on-screen audio bar or level display. Is that sufficient?

Does this speak to the camera's audio recording (not referring to built-in microphone) capabilities?
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #7
Major Player

I am thinking about getting a Polsen VM-180M DSLR/Video Microphone to go on my Canon 70d. The thing that is really interesting about this mic is that it has headphone out. Has anyone had any experience with it? B&H Photo sent out a flyer with it in it and it really looks interesting. I have never heard of Polsen so I am looking for some approval before the purchase.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Another option. . . I purchased an RA222 by JuicedLink for the XLR adaptor to my happy Canon 70D. The sound is pristine clean using this device. Besides having two XLR inputs, it has phantom power (of course) as as well as a headphone input. The switches are located on the bottom of the unit which makes fast adjustments a bit awkward when its placed on a tripod or hand-held rig. So, one has to configure the device beforehand in preparing for a videotaping project (which is not an issue for me). However, the sound is super clean, thanks to the device's preamp! Coming from an audio/music background, a crystal clean sound is important to me. I highly recommend this as consideration for an XLR adaptor.

Last edited by Ed Fiebke; January 19th, 2015 at 08:13 PM.
Ed Fiebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 09:21 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Ed, I will check into the RA222. It looks like a good option.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #10
New Boot

The Tascam 70D is another option to consider:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086798-REG/tascam_dr_70d_4_channel_audio_recording.html
Coincidence that the model number of this mixer/recorder matches your Canon? I think not!
Chris Andrikakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #11
Major Player

I see no point in purchasing a 70D without headphone jack. What alternative do I have?
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #12
Trustee

As far as I know, nothing does the focus tracking like the 70D. That's why we own them and a few STM lenses. Makes a chaotic period, like a wedding getting ready or the processional, much easier.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #13
Regular Crew

hi there. I use the 70D with a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 for some segments in weddings and the autofocus helps a lot...even at f1.8! but I like turning the autofocus on and off as needed on the touch screen so that the autofocus doesn't hunt when I go from one person to the other...etc..If any other DSLR had the same 99% accurate autofocus AND had a headphone jack then I would switch but for the price I can't find it!
The GH4 looked so promising but I have good canon lens already and the GH4 autofocus is not better at all. Sure it has 4K and an amazing intervalometer but I don't need 4K and for for timelapse I use something else if needed..
ok back to the audio..I use a Sennheiser G2 kit with either a lav or a hand held wireless mic...I prefer to run the sennheisser kit a little hot so that I can keep the audio level on the 70D lower.
I manually set the audio on the 70D below the point where the yellow meters peak to avoid distortion. don't let it even go close to the red levels.
The audio meters on the screen help but it sure is a compromise..maybe even a leap of faith but I test the mic connection before every shoot and listen to the tests to make sure it sounds good.
Would I like a headphone jack and even XLR on the 70D? yeah! but not gonna happen at that price
if I really really want the best audio then I either record audio directly to my Tascam DR100 MKII and sync in post or use a Canon XF300 which is a conventional HD camera with XLRs.

For now the 70D has helped me get some "artistic" shots that I was missing before with other DSLRs- no point in shooting af f11 or higher-that looks like video! I wanted the shallow focus look...

I will wait til I can afford something along a Canon C100 MLII. My 70D will stay as a B camera then for interviews etc
the camera is not for real pro work.But is a nice tool for semi-pros...which I hope I am!
cheers
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Does the 70D have a mini-USB connector that puts out video and audio, like many other EOS cams?

I purchased an adapter from B&H that gives me headphones out on the 60D, albeit at a pretty low level. You need efficient headphones.

It's this Sescom adapter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765530-REG/Sescom_DSLR_550D_HOCF_DSLR_550D_HOCF_AV_Out_Headphone.html
Maybe this only works with Magic Lantern - not yet available for the 70D, yes?

You could test by adapting the canon-supplied usb-->video/audio cable to a headphone jack before spending the money.

I'm currently using the Sescom adapter to provide return audio from a 60D back to a Sound Devices MixPre-D. Spendy, but it works *really* well.
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #15
Trustee

The Canon AVC-DC400ST cable used to come supplied with the T3i and 60D, but was not included in the T4i, T5i or 70D kits. It's $14 at B&H currently. It is listed as being compatible with all these cameras.

I've got to dig mine out of the T3i box. I've also got an adapter cable on order to directly connect the Canon AV output cable to my wireless stereo transmitter that I use for headphone monitoring. I would currently have to assemble a number of adapters and cables to do this.

I'll report back when I've tested this.

There are a number of battery-powered, high-quality, wired headphone amps that could work with the Canon cable or a similar cable to the Sescom for more volume.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD