Canon DSLR newbie with lens and shutter question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 29th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon DSLR newbie with lens and shutter question

Hi guys:

Just entered into the DSLR world and picked up the 60D a few days ago, to handle shorter shoots that don't require ENG cameras (i.e. promo and 30 second camera) and had a couple of questions on shutter count and lens.

I'm not familiar of what's consider good millage for shutter count, but been approached by a peer with another 60D to purchase as a back up for the one I have. it has 25,000, but I don't have a frame of reference as if 25K is too high or too low? He had used his camera for wedding and other professional shoots and is upgrading equipment which is why he's selling.

My other question is what is your opinion on the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens? What are ideal use for video shoot for that lens?

Thanks!

Robert
Robert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Canon DSLR newbie with lens and shutter question

I believe you can expect to hit over 100,000 shutter count before having the get any work done on your camera.

I would suggest you stay away from the EF-s lenses so that, later on, if you get a full frame camera, you don't have to buy new lenses. EF mount will work on both. That 60mm is the equivalent of the EF 100mm f/2.8 macro you can get. If you like flexibility, Sigma has a zoom macro... 24-70mm(?) f/2.8-f/4 that is respectable, and an EF-S lens.

If you like primes - I buy them because they're the best lens for the dollar I can afford - Here is my $1000 (gently used) lens kit: the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 (20mm equivalent on your 60D) for a super wide shot, Canon 35mm f/2 (50mm equivalent), and the Canon 85mm f/1.8 (120mm equivalent). The nifty fifty 50mm f/1.8 at $110 or so is impossible to pass up, to0.

Otherwise, if you can, the Canon 24-70mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 are probably, by far, the most common zoom lenses
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

A lot of people would agree with Robert about only purchasing EF lenses for an APS-C (EF-S) camera. It's conventional wisdom, if you will.

On the other hand, some of the Canon EF-S lenses are really splendid glass. The question is would I be kicking myself for not following that conventional wisdom?

My answer:
The EF-S 17-55mm f2.8. Got it. Love it. Use it all the time. Beautiful and fast. It's a lens that might keep me from going full-frame! The FF equivalent would be about 24-88mm, and there are some very nice lenses for FF, including the 24-105 L f4. But that lens would be too long for my use on my 60D. 17mm on a crop sensor gets the wides for interiors I want.

The EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro. Got it. Love it. Haven't used it that much yet. I needed a macro, and I even rented the 100mm L macro to test. Also a very nice piece of glass, and great for macro, but the 60mm can double as a portrait lens, and it's very nice. For my use, if I bought the 100 (or the Tamron 90), it would only come out for macro work. Sorry I don't have anything to share about it as a video lens, I've only shot stills with it so far. They are great.

After looking at all of it, I decided that if I ever do go full-frame, I'll need new lenses. OK - I might well stay with crop-sensor, it looks really really good and I am not of the "shallowest depth of field MUST be the best!!!" camp.

I'm OK with that. The conventional wisdom is good guidance for those who think they eventually will move up to full-frame, but you have to consider the wide end of those FF lenses, will you be able to afford FF glass that is wide enough? The 16-35mm is nice glass, as is the 17-40, but so spendy compared to my EF-S lenses.

BTW, I like wide looks! Maybe you don't... but it's something to consider. I feel I have to get down into 17mm or so on APS-C (24mm FF equiv)

Sigma lenses - I have a couple, they're very nice too.

Agreed that a 25k shutter count isn't high, it's low to moderate, with an expected shutter life of maybe 120k. And if you're shooting video, you'll not put much mileage on the shutter.

P.S. Most who've owned the 17-55 and 60 EF-S lenses would agree that these are the best of the bunch for crop sensor, highly recommended.
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Good point, Seth.

I think the choice of EF-S lenses really depends on if you're comfortable selling on craigslist or ebay. (I prefer craigslist.) As long as you don't buy kit-lens dogs, you can resell lenses for a good percentage of the purchase price. If you buy used, you might even make a small profit. :)

That means that you can invest in whatever lens suits your fancy and replace it down the road with a completely different kit. In my case, I went from slow zooms to EF primes to L primes. Each step of the way, I bought and sold used, didn't lose a penny, added a bit more cash, and moved up to some great glass in the focal ranges that I found that I used the most.

But if you don't like selling stuff online, buy the right stuff once. You'll be happier.

BTW, here's a tip: when buying/selling expensive camera gear, arrange to meet the person in a bank. If it's the seller's bank, they can deposit the cash immediately. Banks have security cameras all over the place. If anybody tries ripping you off there, you have the weight of the FBI on your side. :)
Old August 20th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks everyone. It's taken awhile for me to wrap my head around it. So I appreciate your help
Robert Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD