Canon's 70D and its 30 minute video recording limit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 30th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Canon's 70D and its 30 minute video recording limit

Since finding about the 30 minute recording limitation on DSLRs a couple of days ago, I've been reading how it is all related to taxes in Europe. But as mentioned here, software limitations is not new to the world of cameras. Deliberately set limitations is not new to almost all products of any kind that are available for purchase. That I learned a long time ago.

Ugh! I did NOT know until now that the GH4 only enabled this 30 minute recording limitation to PAL mode. I was so close to purchasing that camera instead. But, I wanted to save the extra money in purchasing the 70D so that I can buy additional lens. (I read good things about Canon's lenses.) I still do not regret my decision to purchase the 70D. It takes great photos as well a great video. Along with this purchase, I will be learning new video editing skills which is always a good thing.

Again, thank you for all of the thoughtful information.
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #17
Regular Crew

This EU law is a pain the pants. I can remember having to put a dongle through my Sony DV cam to enable fire wire IN because of this exact same tax law!!! Gits. That's the EU not Sony, who by and large make great camcorders. But I digress.

Is there no way to hack the EU 70D cameras?

Oh and what's the image on the 70 D like in a reception or on the dance floor?
Paul Ekert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ekert View Post
Is there no way to hack the EU 70D cameras?

Oh and what's the image on the 70 D like in a reception or on the dance floor?
The Magic Lantern on it is in progress, but very early on.

On the dance floor? Its OK. I bought the 40mm and 28mm f2.8 pancake STM lenses, and s that's roughly f/4 equivalent, and the 70D really shouldn't go above ISO 1600. Follow focus is tricky with all those bodies and faces, too.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 12:42 PM   #19
Regular Crew

F4 equivalent because its a croped sensor? And what's with ml? Is it in alpha or beta?
Old January 30th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #20
Trustee

Alpha status for magic lantern on the 70D.

F'/4 is because of crop factor. That 28mm f/2.8 pancake lens ends up acting like a 35mm f/4, though the STM is really nice. I'll be doing some testing tomorrow to see how our USM primes fare using the face tracking auto focus
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Regarding battery life, I bought the AC adapter for the 5D2. I assume that one exists for the 70D. If so, I highly recommend it for tripod use. It removes battery-worry as a possible distraction from shooting.

That said, when using a battery, you don't have to worry about somebody kicking the AC cord from the wall. If you use AC, duct tape the stinger to the floor. Secure all connections well. If the camera loses power, it stops immediately. For all I know, you will lose the active clip - I haven't tested that and I don't plan to!

In any case, when you can connect to power securely, it's nice - especially if your tripod plate blocks the battery compartment. But it sure would be better if I could have AC power plus a battery backup. This is an often overlooked disadvantage of DSLRs vs camcorders.
Old January 31st, 2015, 07:56 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
Alpha status for magic lantern on the 70D.

F'/4 is because of crop factor. That 28mm f/2.8 pancake lens ends up acting like a 35mm f/4, though the STM is really nice. I'll be doing some testing tomorrow to see how our USM primes fare using the face tracking auto focus

I have to say I've never experienced a full stop drop in light when using a crop sensor. I see the viewing angle decrease of course, but if I use a light meter it tends to agree with my cameras internal meter even though the light meter is unaware that I'm using a cropped sensor.
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:41 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I was troubled by this, so looked it up and found this:

Crop Sensor (APS-C) Cameras and Lens Confusion

The relevant information is towards the bottom of the page, but the summary is this:

.....The so called "1.6x digital multiplier" is really a factor which affects the field of view which is recorded and which does depend on format size. It does not affect the aperture and it does not affect the true focal length of the lens.....
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:41 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ekert View Post
.....The so called "1.6x digital multiplier" is really a factor which affects the field of view which is recorded and which does depend on format size. It does not affect the aperture and it does not affect the true focal length of the lens.....
That is correct. The Canon 28mm f/2.8 is and will always be a 2.8 lens no matter if it's on the 5D, the 70D, or the GH4.

The crop factor only matters if you are use to the Canon 28mm focal length on the 5D. If you have no experience with or using the 5D or another full frame sensor camera, then the crop factor means nothing, and this nonsense needs to stop.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:44 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Observe as Mitch Gross spells it out:

What Mitch is saying here is: A Lens Is a Lens is a Lens | CineTechnica

In other words, focal length does not change, nor does the maximum aperture value (and this is the first time I've ever run across any suggestion that it does). The equivalent field of view is the *only* difference.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD