Canon 90D -better tha n 80d? first hand opinions pls - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 16th, 2019, 10:13 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Canon 90D -better tha n 80d? first hand opinions pls

Hi Rob. I got the 90D and I'm using it with the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 mostly-sometimes I use the Canon 10-18mm stm outdoors mostly...I like what I get from the Canon 90D with the Sigma but my eyes are not what they used to be! It's a bit soft at f1.8...much better from f2.8 and up!

A few months ago I lost "faith" on Canon and I purchased a Sony a6400 with a Sigma 16mm f1.4 and the combo is really good! Fantastic gimbal camera and with some practice I kind of got used to Sony's menus and handling. The 6400 needs a touchscreen for menus etc...not much fun to use but really good picture (although I don't use any special PP)- but as soon as Canon released the 90D I got it and tested it against the Sony (I matched them as close as I could-I don't have 2 exact lenses but both Sigma lenses are kind of, sort of similar)...and I decided to make a video JUST for me with both cameras -I have lots of APS-C lenses (I also own a C100 mk2 and a EOS 70D) and I wanted to continue to use them (as opposed to buying more lenses for the Sony a6400). The 4K in the a6400 is sharper for sure but to me the 90D in 4k is very usable and I like the way it looks on faces- I don't want ultra sharp faces for sure but good detail.

here is the video I shot-I was in a rush so I didn't quite get all details to match and perhaps a shot or two are a bit out of focus but I can say that the a6400 is sharper in 4k but the Canon 90D looks more appealing and it's a LOT more fun to use as a B camera! That touchscreen is fantastic!

Here is the link-not truly professional but a rushed effort. Pls be gentle!

and here is a timelapse with the 90D with a Canon 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 STM (but one shot was taken with another camera) -Very usable and I find it a lot easier to set up etc...and it will soon get an upgrade for 24p...great!

E

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD