Could It Be Canon's Answer To Nikon's Movie Mode ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old September 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Could It Be Canon's Answer To Nikon's Movie Mode ?

A 'Possible' Successor To CANON 5D !

New 5D to eclipse competition?: Digital Photography Review

EVOLUTION

Canon UK - Home
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Unless it offers at *least* 720p24 over HDMI, it won't hold a candle to Nikon's D90 as far as this crowd is concerned. So the big question is, will Canon EOS compete directly against Canon Video for this particular market?

I just don't see it happening, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

And... *if* the rumored 5D replacement does indeed offer 720p24 over HDMI, what do you want to bet that it, too, will have a 5-minute clip length limitation? But then I'm a natural pessimist. No doubt we'll all find out for sure very soon.

Also... *if* the rumored 5D replacement does indeed offer 720p24 over HDMI, I really don't see it stealing a whole lot of thunder from Nikon. They've already blown that chance by not putting it on the rewcently announced 50D, which is much closer to the D90's price point. The Canon 5D retailed for $3500 when it was first announced; most likely its replacement will hit the same price point. Even if their new camera comes in at $2500, you could still buy a pair of Nikon D90's at that price.

So the way I see it is that Canon has already missed the boat by not including 720p24 over HDMI on their equivalent of the Nikon D90, which is the 50D. Even if the 5D replacement includes this feature, it's not going to take that many sales away from Nikon by virtue of the big difference in price.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #3
Trustee

Or they could add this feature to the succesor to the XSi series- which would undercut Nikon's price-point as the Rebel series sell for well under a grand!
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Man I hope so...cause the D90 does not make pretty moving pictures IMO. Dynamic range and color are excellent...but the compression used killed its final resolution and overall image for me. I'm pretty optomistc about this Canon however...I thought the announcement was supposed to be this week?
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Trustee

Well I'll take their "PhotoJpeg" (or whatever?) compression to that of AVCHD or any X.264 variant- AVCHD compression is just horrible for fast moving scenes/objects!!!

I'd like a codec that can stand heavy movement/changes from frame to frame....and photojpeg etc type schemes do this well!
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez View Post
Well I'll take their "PhotoJpeg" (or whatever?) compression to that of AVCHD or any X.264 variant- AVCHD compression is just horrible for fast moving scenes/objects!!!

I'd like a codec that can stand heavy movement/changes from frame to frame....and photojpeg etc type schemes do this well!
A variant of Motion JPEG has been the center of standard definition video DV25/DV50 at 25/50 MBits/second, which is about 3-6 MBytes/Second, for typically 720x480. 720P is ~3x that resolution while 1080p is 6x . If Nikon gave us 3-6x the data rate of DV, which would be 9-16 MBytes/second, the video would be better than HDV spatially and fewer motion artifacts.
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Major Player

I think canon can still find a viable market despite the D90 if this secret camera is truly evolutionary, meaning merging their DSLR with what they've already developed from their video cameras. They can pick up where the D90 left off by adding better motion/codec/audio input.

The question for me is that would their DSLR division talk to their Video Camera division. It seems with some companies, the pro division have little idea as to what is going on in the consumer division so I'd imagine the disparity DSLR and video camera be even more so.

Many have pointed out that they might undercut their own sales. I don't really buy that because I imagined that'd be better than letting Nikon undercut their sales. Again, I imagined (and hope) each division of canon is acting separately, and trying to make to best of their product. I could be totally wrong. Anyone with insight on this like to chime in?

Also, I saw this. Probably belongs in Area 51 but since we have a thread here already: French magazine deciphered Canon’s Destined Evolution: Revealed 5D mark II specification, partially - SlashGear
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Major Player

The 5d replacement will do 1080p.
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #9
Trustee

Well that says it all, well done Evan we all have sufficient well informed and reliable information now.
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King View Post
The 5d replacement will do 1080p.
Sorry but Canon has not yet officially announced anything regarding the 5D replacement's feature set.

Old September 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #11
Trustee

Evan- what makes you say it will do 1080P?
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

What makes him say it will do 1080p is a number of unconfirmed rumors and speculation. I have seen about an equal number of unconfirmed rumors and speculation that it won't have any video capability at all. The point I was making earlier in this thread is that Canon has missed the boat by not putting HD video on the 50D (and that much we do know to be true, since the 50D specs are published). The point I'm making now is that nobody outside of Canon can say for sure what the 5D replacement has or does not have, until Canon officially announces it... which is still a few days away yet.

I agree with the assessment that this thread isn't "news" so much as it is speculation, and I agree that our Area 51 rumor mill is the most appropriate forum for this discussion -- therefore it's been moved. Thanks all,

Old September 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

So... turns out the Canon EOS 5D Mk. II actually does have 1080p HD video after all.

Such is the nature of Area 51. Sometimes a thread gets dropped into it, and sometimes that thread is promoted back out of it. At any rate, please discuss 1080p HD on the new Canon D-SLR at: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/digital-v...announced.html

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD