Scarlet = 5DII still on order at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Scarlet = 5DII still on order

Well, Scarlet is not at all what I expected. I'm not sure what to say comparing the original "Scarlet" to the Red One Lite that was announced. So much for Red taking on the Japanese camera makers.

I was hoping Red would announce a product that would really push the sub $10K market of cameras and camcorders. It looks like the big camera makers can still dribble out features and not spend much time listening to their customers.

I'm disappointed. Not that there's anything wrong with what Red announced. It's just not the type of product that changes the way other companies do business.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

When I got up today and started my normal "forum routine" during breakfast, I checked this forum first. When I didn't see a single post on this forum saying "forget the 5D Mark II," I knew Red's announcement must not have been that earth shattering.

So I went and checked out what they announced. It was nice, but overall, underwhelming. I was hoping they would announce an interchangeable lens, full frame, ready to shoot, not buy 100 accessories (it doesn't even come with a battery), camera. Basically, I was hoping for a Canon 5D Mark II with more "video" features that shot 3K RAW for about half the price of the FF35 Scarlet Brain. Oh well, didn't happen. Plus, nobody even knows that what they did announce will actually happen.

So hopefully, Canon will take their own technology one step further! With Red's announcement today, I think the market is even bigger.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I think it is an amazing change in the market out there. But for us low end "non profit" indie film makers, shelling out the $15 k or so to make the thing go, still isn't something the Mrs. will get behind..... I love the idea and modular concept, but I have seen RED accessory prices, and, frankly, I recognize, that getting paid for a project or several is what would make it work for me. HV20 still is pretty amazing for a $ 700 cam, and I was hoping against hope that Scarlet would produce a $ 4k stand alone camera with a s35mm sensor with Nikon or Canon mounts. Canon and Nikon have started to addressed it somewhat, but hopefully Sony and Panny will do so also.
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The Red competed with the big boys of film by offering a camera at roughly half the cost. Neither side (digital or film) seemed to change hardly at all, and especially now with all that has been happening in the market would lead you to think, just maybe.

BUT The Scarlet is just another piece of hardware aimed at the same market, so I don't expect any major changes, once again. Until, a manufacturer targets the core of the DV market (me and you) at our price range, I don't expect changes. Canon is a prime example, the all ways lag behind in development and roll out by a few years. They are last to deliver on high tech cameras (of the digital video variety) any way. Canon and others are happy just giving us incremental updates and enhancements. IE: Canon's XL series, XL, then XL1s, now XL2 then XLH1 then we get a letter "A" then the Letter "S".

The Red is a game changer and that is what is needed, something to get everyone out of their comfort zone. Once we get competition OF SIMILAR CAMERAS things will change, and the economic situation should help.

Just my rant / spin
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

sure, for low-budget filmmakers scarlet is useless, the "cheap" model has a 2/3 sensor and fixed lenses, no too much advantage at all over current cameras , and the "expensive" model with 24mm sensor is too expensive!
Alberto Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #6
Major Player

yeah, the 2/3" sensor doesn't seem very interesting. What I would add to your list, now that we (almost) have the 5DII, is low light performance. The 5DII seems to be 4 or 5 stops better than red one. Will red still be rolling out cameras in 2010 with usable ISO 250?

Is the red market bigger than cine if they don't add good high ISO performance? Is 3K great without DOF control? Seems to me critical questions are not being asked.
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #7
Trustee

the 2/3" chip size is strange to me as well - why not at least the same size as 35mm film? Would eliminate all those clunky adapters....

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Blades View Post
sure, for low-budget filmmakers scarlet is useless, the "cheap" model has a 2/3 sensor and fixed lenses, no too much advantage at all over current cameras , and the "expensive" model with 24mm sensor is too expensive!
Just a reality check here...

There are -NO- 2/3" HD video cameras (as a purpose built full manual control camera), kitted out, under $20,000... and defintiely no cameras that offer 120fps and a raw video codec in that price range. And if there was another body that cheap, the lens would be $10,000+...

Maybe useless to you, but not useless to the rest of us.
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
If this camera is useless to you, it's only because you can't afford it.
Dylan, jeez … I can afford it, but I don't need it. That's not a complaint.
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Dylan is right - there is no inexpensive manual control camera with 2/3 sensor. That includes what red sells.
It's interesting how important it is to those who want to buy red that everyone else participate in the adulation. It's a tool with a price and a feature set.
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Of course that whole argument breaks down to the fact that if you aren't going to get 35mm depth of field anyway, do you really need to spend the money to go 2/3 inch? With cameras like the EX1 and EX3 on the market now, it's a valid argument. I would say it's not nearly as important as it used to be.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sandel View Post
Dylan, jeez … I can afford it, but I don't need it. That's not a complaint.
Sorry John, that comment wasn't directed to you, no offense intended.

There will be a lot of people who the 2/3" Scarlet will be useless to, but they are either in a different field or different ballpark. This camera is a godsend to the HVX200/XHA1 crowd.

And to think I can get a S35 Scarlet (which I'll be lining up outside RedCentral for as soon as Jim Jannard lets me put a tent down...) for the price of an XLH1 that uses my EF lenses? Belissimo!!!!

Having said that, I'm preordering a 5D mkII tomorrow. :)
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
if this camera is useless to you, it's only because you can't afford it... and if you can't afford it... stop complaining about it on internet forums and get a job! :)
I can afford a scarlet, and I don't hate RED, in fact yesterday I was shooting (just for testing) with a RED ONE (not mine actually and I can't afford it), but this is not the argument.

I'm only saying that what low-budget indie filmmakers want is a camera with shallow DOF, to differentiate their films from video. From a low-budget indie perspective, or even to shoot music videos, the scarlet still needs a 35mm adapter.

So, to shallow-DOF shooting we need a scarlet, plus proprietary expensive accesories, plus a 35mm adapter, and just to get exactly the same problems like with other cameras: lot of light loss on spinnners and grain on vibrating 35mm adapters.

RAW is nice, but not indispensable, we have seen good films shot even in miniDV (at 60i!) and later converted to 35mm "real" film. And films shot with a 100k camera going directly to trash can. I would preffer shallow DOF in HDV than a 2/3 sensor RAW. Also, you can shoot RAW with almost any camera through HDMI.

well may be the scarlet performs well with a 35mm adapter, but if the canon 5DII, or the new nikons and canons to be released next year at that price level, can get 25p and are able to record video with reasonable quality and reasonable manual controls, it will be far better.

And last but not least, as Don Miller said, the low light performance of canon and nikon DSLRs sensors are very far away from red sensors, shooting video with 35mm lens and at 12800 ISO with a $2600 camera is a dream!. This exceptional low light performance is really much more important than RAW for low-budget filmmakers.
Alberto Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Sorry John, that comment wasn't directed to you, no offense intended.
Oh, none taken. I just felt compelled to defend all Red consumers: pros, affluent amateurs & idiots alike.

Me, I'm a 5D2 man, 'less it turns out to make inferior pancakes or something. At that price, it's just so cool.
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Blades View Post
I'm only saying that what low-budget indie filmmakers want is a camera with shallow DOF, to differentiate their films from video. From a low-budget indie perspective, or even to shoot music videos, the scarlet still needs a 35mm adapter.

A $2500 2/3" chip video camera shooting 3k on a raw codec at 120fps is useless because you want to put a 35mm adapter on it to get a touch more shallow DOF?

You'd rather spend $4000 more on an XLH1 that shoots 1080 HDV at 30fps on a tiny 1/3" chip? Can you explain to me in detail why the Scarlet doesn't have an advantage over this?

Personally, I'll enjoy my 5DmkII for shooting still photos and travel videos, and I'll use my Red (when I get one) for shooting film/TV projects.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD