Could it be no 24 FPS on 5D MII because... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Could it be no 24 FPS on 5D MII because...

Could it be no 24 FPS on 5D MII because there is no 1/24 or 1/48 shutter speed on a DSLR camera? Therefore, new technology would have to be introduced that would drive up the camera's price?

How does the D90 handle that though, what shutter speed does it shoot at? Could that be a contributer to some of it's problems?

Just wonderin'.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Major Player

The physical shutter isn't used in video as with film, so I doubt it.

But I see your point about the unusual (for photography) shutter speeds of 1/24, 1/48, and 1/96.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Trustee

My guess is that they never imagined the camera would have sparked such interest from video guys and therefore never considered the idea of making it shoot 24p. The video recording capabilities were an afterthought, a novel little bit to add in there for the hell of it. I'd imagine the oddities that we see in regards to how it sets exposure, the audio handling, and no 24p are due to the fact that you had a traditional still photo division design everything.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
My guess is that they never imagined the camera would have sparked such interest from video guys and therefore never considered the idea of making it shoot 24p. The video recording capabilities were an afterthought, a novel little bit to add in there for the hell of it. I'd imagine the oddities that we see in regards to how it sets exposure, the audio handling, and no 24p are due to the fact that you had a traditional still photo division design everything.
I am going to have to agree with Ethan. I think all that would be needed for 24p recording would be a little thought from their video camera department. The camera was designed for still photographers by the still equipment department and they threw video function in there to create buzz about their camera, and likely to get the still photographer interested in canon video gear.

I doubt they expected this much attention from video professionals around the world, who are thinking about getting a still camera for their video work.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Because they need to sell you a 5DIII after you buy a 5DII.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Trustee

Exactly!

Although if they think it's biting into their high-end market, you might see the end of this type of cam all together from them....

Even though the cat is out of the bag so to speak.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD